Anyone else not doing Christmas (like having people over,making food)?

I'm so jaded from the families expecting us to buy and make all the food,buy the gifts,and they show up empty handed,take their stuff and flee
The look on my mom's face when I said that all we were doing was making a simple lunch,was priceless.
I've told them all, times are tough,we'll just do a potluck. Nix the gifts.
They're pissed!
Yeah,getting screwed out of a free ride sucks huh?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Relationships

• We had a major family blowup this year and I told my father to never contact me again. We used to have him, my stepmother, and my grandmother over for Christmas Eve, so now we will be coming up with something else to do. We might just go out to eat.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• We all go to mom & dads for lunch/leftover supper. Mom does the noodles, turkey & mashed potatoes. The rest of bring everything and when it's all over we make them sit down while we do the clean up. Just don't understand why families don't pitch in and help with all of it. It's way to much work and money for one person to handle.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My family is pretty big. We each take a holiday every year. I do Thanksgiving, my cousin does Christmas Eve and my daughter does Christmas day. We rotate Easter, mothers day and fathers day. Easy on everyone.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• DH likes to make a rib roast (I could totally do without it). I would come to your house for a simple lunch. I much prefer a casual get together than something more formal. Pot luck, buffet style serving.

We do gifts for the younger ones, but the adults don't exchange for the most part. This year is a little different as BIL is still working on getting back to normal after being hit by a vehicle while riding his bike. We sent him a gift, but it has a purpose. Plus, it's not exactly wrapped up and he will be able to use it before Christmas. One year we all wrote compliments about each family member and presented each other with our compliments. I thought that was fun.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• For the past 7 yrs I've only done Christmas for our little family. It's just me, Hubby, and our 3 boys. I'll make a special meal on Christmas day, and we do all the traditional Christmas activities (at home), but no other family/friends come by. I'm fine with it. One of these days we'll have Grandkids, etc so there will be a house full then.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I love having everyone over, but it definitely gets expensive. As baconbits said, it would make it easier if everyone pitched in. The person hosting has all of the preparations for the event, the clean up after, and a good deal of expensive whether they do all of it or have a potluck. So pitching shows appreciation for the work that person has done.

This year, for the first time in 23 years I'm working full time, so I'm only having my boys, their girlfriends and my dad...and of course, hubby and me. Normally, I have a big thing.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:13 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I just left my husband and moved back home, so Christmas this year is going to be much smaller than usual. Really looking forward to it, though - spending it with my parents and siblings, all of the grandkids, and neighbors that kind of morphed into family over the years.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• No I will have the family over like usual. But then they are here about every 2 weeks for dinner anyway. I like to cook and I like my family around me. I would like a little help clearing the table but DGS is always willing to help me.
    My feeling is that I give the gifts I want to give because I love them, not because of duty. I receive in the same spirit and if times are lean there is less. I remember one year was a homemade card and a 4 line poem basically saying I would not have a big enough house to hold all the love but sadly they had to come empty handed. I thought it was a great present.
    This will be the best Christmas in a long time because more of us can come.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2012

• jus me and immediate family include grandkids...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Ive never lived close enough to family to have a big celebration. Its always just been dh and the kids, with some close friends thrown in. Now that the kids are grown and gone, this year it might just be hubby and me... Im sorta looking forward to it in a way. Im so tired from my job, that I fell asleep at a stop light on the way to work this morning!! Some poor guy had to honk me to get me going... :( So just hanging out, opening gifts, and being lazy in my robe sounds like heaven!!!
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2012