my baby's coughing and has fever

he started coughing 2 days ago and got a fever last night which has finally come down but he's still coughing and hasnt had a bottle since yesterday at 1pm ... he's had like 2oz of water but he doesnt really want anything. he's 9 months old and i'm about to go to the doctor soon but is there any medicine i could give him for his cough? it seems like they dont make anything for babies at all :/

EricsMommy427

Asked by EricsMommy427 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait to see the dr. before giving anything.
    Mommy2LPK

Answer by Mommy2LPK at 11:31 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Nope...nothing you can give him that will help. If it is just a cold, the doctor won't be able to give him anything either. My doctor okay'd a very small amount of benadryl when my 9 mo. had a really bad cold. It seemed to help dry up some of the mucous but it didn't really help with the cough. I don't think it was really worth it to give it to her. If the fever isn't uncomfortable or high, let it run. Its your body's way of fighting off the virus. The cold will go away quicker if you let his body fight it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• These days it's NOT recomended to give a baby anything for a cough, I never really found cough medicine to work anyways for my children. Keep a humidifier going at all times, that keeps the cough productive. Tylenol and Motrin for the fever and acheyness. Let us know what the doc says, he might perscribe something if nessesary. Best of luck mom
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:32 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• My doctor gave my DD a prescription for her cough, its for babies 6 months and up. Just go to the doctor first, good luck =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my baby's doctor is an idiot... she said, oh he looks fine, it'll go away... how can u tell me, he looks fine when he's not even eating and he still has fever... i cant even handle coughing without taking medicine i cant imagine what my poor baby is going through... ugh!
    EricsMommy427

Answer by EricsMommy427 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2009