• In the Spotlight:

Does anybody have the Mirena device?

I am thinking of getting it, although it is expensive. Does it hurt when they put it in? My dr. told me i had to be on my period when i went to have him put it in, i am kind of uncomfortable with that.. Did you have to get it put in toward the end of ur period too? Did it cause cramping after it was put in and did you gain any weight? Does it make ur periods lighter? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Health

• i have it...and i had mine put in 4 weeks after i gave birth...some drs want you to be on your period because it opens you up more and they can get to where the mirena goes easier....but i know there are some drs that do it at other times so im sure you can talk to your dr and tell him you are uncomfortable with it. it did cause a little cramping for a couple of days but nothing major for me ...i have heard of others who said it was painful for them though/ it was a little pinch when they put it in but again nothing huge for me. i have gained weight since i stopped nursing BUT i think its more to do with the 5000 calories i eat a day and not working out lol. I havent had one period since i got mine in....i do spot from time to time but thats it. Hope that helped...i love mine
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 12:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have one also. I however, was not required to be on my period. It felt like a mild cramp, but after that, nothing really. I would get it again in a heart beat. This is the easiest birth control I have ever used. I bled irregularly for the first several months, but have had mine for over a year now and have rare, light periods. I personally did not notice any weight gain. Good luck!
    Colemama

Answer by Colemama at 11:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2009