Would you consider a religion that tells you to only associate with people of the same religion,to be cult-like?

Instead of judging someone on the merits of how they live their lives,how good of a person they are?
A friend I had when I was younger,Ed,belongs to a new age Evangelical church
They are told that anyone who is not godly like they are,is not someone they need to associate with,in ANY way,because if they are not walking in God's light,they are walking in darkness.
I am not Christian
I pay my taxes,I don't steal,i'm good to those around me,I don't drink,smoke,do drugs,or abuse my kid
But yet in that church's eyes,I'm walking hand and hand with the Dark Lord

At this time of year,I miss my friend because he was such a great guy. Why he would go against his inner voice telling him that nothing is so black and white,makes me sad.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Religious Debate

• YEP
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Also, Dark Lord?

You mean Voldemort right?
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Ravenclaw here but in my heart I know I belong in Gryffindor.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 12:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• ^^^A website that lets you attend Hogwarts via events in the Harry Potter books. But, it's not complete yet & only lets you go through the first 2 books right now. But, I'm a Gryffindor with a unicorn hair & vine wand. :) (man, I'm a dork).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• It definitely sounds cult-ish to me, as well as very limiting.  It's the best way to prevent people from leaving.  They learn nothing new, never have the opportunity to grow from having ideas challenged, and become filled with fear and distrust for anyone who isn't part of the church.  I'm so sad for you, and for him.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Bwahaha. Misread. I thought you were asking if I would consider it, as in consider joining. God, I need coffee.

Yes, it's cult-like.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Definitely cult-ish. Places like that retain members because they aren't allowed to think for themselves. They are told what to do and blindly follow.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yes, that sounds cult-like.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yes, I would very much consider that to be a cult.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yes, especially since that's one of the main thing that Scientology promotes. They are supposed to shun even family members (children included) who are not a part of the church.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2012