Do you own a kindle?

if so how do you like it? I want to buy the kindle fire for my soon to be 4 year old.

zoriah26

Asked by zoriah26 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Technology

• I have a 4 and an 8 year old granddaughter. I would buy it for the 8 year old, but the 4 year old would have it destroyed in minutes. There are a lot of people that enjoy them, but we have the iPad instead. Hope someone can tell you how it works for those that age.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• We have 1 kindle Basic, 2 Kindle Touch, and one Kindle Fire. The basic was for my then 8 year old for christmas last year. He got it taken away within 6 months because he kept leaving it laying around. My hubby just sold his Touch to some friends of ours. The Fire is his too.

I would NOT recommend getting something that expensive for a 4 year old. Get the LeapPad2 or something similar for the child instead. It's meant to stand up to the uses and abuses of young children better.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I have a Kindle Fire and love it. Both my grandson 7 and granddaughter 4 use it. I download books for them to read and they play games on it.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yes. I love my Kindle Fire. I have some apps but use it mainly for reading and checking email. My 2 and 4 yo's use it also but mainly for YouTube. They greatly prefer my iPhone for apps. The only downfall about the Kindle fire is that you are limited to apps from the amazon store, you don't have access to all android apps like you do with other devices. The Kindle fire is perfect for me but if you are looking for something to use for apps, another tablet might be better?

Answer by missanc at 12:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I don't have the Fire, but I have an older model and I like it. There are cheaper e-readers for younger children, though.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• we got one for my daughter before she started college. *hers is not a fire.

I would never get something like that for any kid under at least 9 or 10 and probably not before about 15 honestly. If you get him one, I hope he doesn't destroy it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I have a Kindle fire and I love it. My 3yo uses it for some drawing apps and to "read" books. I would not get one for a 4yo to use exclusively, though. They are too delicate for the abuse. Your child would probably get more out of a tablet designed for kids.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My 13 yr. old DD got a Fire HD for her bat mitzvah. She likes it a lot. And DS1, who has a nook color, likes it a lot better than his nook.

I would not get one for a 4 yr. old. I wouldn't even get one for my 8 yr. old, and he's fairly responsible and good to his things. He just doesn't need it. He is allowed to play on my iPad.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I wouldn't buy a kindle fire (or any other brand) for a 4 y/o. There are kid friendly tablets (my 5 y/O is getting a LeapPad for Christmas) that would probably suits your kid's needs better (and be less expensive) .
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• They are not that expensive. $200 for the fire he is not too bad. Of course I would use the device as well but it will be hers. She told me she wanted an iPad but I am not paying the money for that lol
    zoriah26

Comment by zoriah26 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2012