Do you think people are getting more selfish?

badI am finding it difficult to meet real quality people!!!! I find everyone I meet is doing something that's just wrong!!!! Do you all feel this way?

theresamarie77

Asked by theresamarie77 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in General Parenting

• Yes I do feel they are getting more selfish. However, I can't really say they are doing stuff that is wrong. Wrong to me, may not be wrong to someone else. It's a dog eat dog world and you'll notice this more during this season. Sucks, but there's not a lot to be done about it. We all have to survive. The world is going to come to survival of the fittest....

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• People have always been selfish, always looking out for number one! but there are a lot of good quality individuals out there as well, you been looking in the wrong places....at my age I have discovered that you got to see past what is obvious.....

Answer by older at 12:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• People have always been selfish but, I think it's just more out in the open now.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I think its more of an entitlement issue now. Some people have always been selfish, but now its more socially acceptable to scream ME ME ME. Why, I really don't know. I think it has to do with the misconception that standing up for yourself is synonymous with being an entitled asswipe in order to get your way.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Not really. I know some people that aren't as giving as they have been in the past but much of that is due to the economy and their ability to be as giving isn't there.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I meet lots of people who do not do things the way I do them.How boring life would be if we all did everything, everyone else does, how stagnant.
    Selfish is another thing entirely.

I think there is a difference between being selfcentered and selfish, and being selfish in saying I believe in myself and work hard and am allowed to enjoy what I earn and decide how to spend it.

I think the truely selfish people are getting louder and more demanding but I am not really sure there are more of them or just more exposure to them. I tend to be around the second group more and I find the majority are generous and caring people.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• No, I think they're getting more judgmental
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• not really. we're all selfish to an extent, but i do think ppl are no longer ashamed to be selfish. a lot of ppl think being selfish is the same as taking care of yourself, and thats just not true.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Define "quality people"
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Your idea of "doing something wrong" and other people's ideas are going to be different. "Wrong" is a subjective concept. I agree with NP, I think people are getting more judgmental.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2012