how to get child off bottle?

lucy0128

Asked by lucy0128 at 11:43 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You have two choices: replace the bottle with a sippy cup one feeding at a time. Start with the first feeding of the day and save the last one for last or cold turkey

You may also wish to fill a sippy cup or two with water and put it/them in with her toys so that she can experiment/practice.

My boys "played" with sippy cups around 9 mos of age and then at 12 mos, once we'd transitioned from formula to milk, we went cold turkey with the sippy cups without problems.

I think the most difficult bottle to wean from is the pre-bed bottle. Mine had stopped getting a bottle right before bed around 8 mos of age so it wasn't an issue for us. Simply replace it with a sippy of milk and some extra cuddle/book time. It's the closeness that they're looking for more than the milk itself.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:56 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• JUST TAKE IT AWAY!
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 11:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I'm not an expert especially at my age n with another one on the way. But i slowy winged by daughter from the bottle to sippie cups. I threw most of the bottles out, maybe left one or 2. I bought sippie cups very small ones and tried giving her milk n juice. Slowly she learned how to use them. It was actually very easy and quick, but then again not all children take things the same way. So just try it and see if it works for u like it worked for me. good luck
    LilMumster

Answer by LilMumster at 11:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Go to Wal-Mart or Target and get the Nuby sippy cups with the soft silicone spout that looks basically like a bigger bottle/nipple - after a little while on that they should be able to transition to any other sippy cup no problem...

I personally consider those Nuby cups somewhere between a bottle & sippy cup; but I've had 2 ped's tell me they do count as sippy cups...

Good Luck
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:16 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Oh and like LilMumster said - if you're LO is really attached to their milk bottle; try getting them used to the sippy with their juice first...and then work on the milk...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have a stubborn 19month old who did not want to give up her bottle. We tried every sippy cup, but she still preferred the bottle. One day we decided enough was enough. With her help we threw all the bottles away, then took the garbage outside. No bottles can remain or you will give in. She was still resistant to the cup, but a week later she is fine. She had 2 really bad crying fits, in the past we would of just given her the bottle. For about a week she would not take a cup of milk easily, she would throw it on the ground, but eventually she would get thirsty and take the cup. We also would put a little chocolate mix in a cup a day. We were concerned she wasn't drinking enough so we used the chocolate milk. The benefit now is that she is eating more solids food. She was so attached to the bottle, that in the past she would bring me a sippy cup of milk and an empty bottle in hope I would pour the milk in the bottle.
    ABSmith

Answer by ABSmith at 2:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• At walmart, babies r us, or baby depot they have Nuby sippy cups with clear soft spouts that look like bigger versions of a bottle. Start with this one. Put the milk in and give it to your LO. Don't give her the bottle as an option. If she doesn't take it leave close to her. She won't die of thirst. Eventually she will get so thirsty she will drink it no problems
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 2:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2009