Did you know this...What do you feed your kids?

Check this out from an article I got from "Eat This, Not That!" e-mail sent to me:

The Food Industry Also Doesn't Want You to Know
. . . that Food Additives May Make Your Kids Misbehave.
Researchers at the University of Southampton in the UK found that artificial food coloring and sodium benzoate preservatives are directly linked to increased hyperactivity in children. The additives included Yellow #5, Yellow #6, Red #40, and sodium benzoate, which are commonly found in packaged foods in the United States, but the researchers don't know if it's a combination of the chemicals or if there's a single one that's the primary culprit. You can find Red #40, Yellow #5, and Yellow #6 in Lucky Charms and sodium benzoate in some diet sodas, pickles, and jellies.

I knew these were bad for our health, but didn't know exactly why-now I know. I've already stopped the "Chex Mix" (MSG), but I'll have to look at labels more closely.

Mom3plus1

Asked by Mom3plus1 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• jodi, we wouldn't starve, we'd eat nothing but fresh organic veggies and fruits and free range chicken and wild caught fish and bow-hunted deer and all that good stuff :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:25 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• omg if we read everything about what we eat or what we feed our kids we would starve
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my one cousin could not eat or drink anything with red dye. he would be bouncing off the wall. but the others he could so yeah i do believe theres some truth to that.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I have not had the food issues with my son, but I got called from daycare one day, and my son had just went off the deep end. It was so bad I had to leave work and come get him, or possibly not had a daycare the next day. When I got there he was crying uncontrollably, and he had been throwing chairs and things. When askes what was going on with him, he got a scared look and said he just didn't now why he is doing it. Took him to the ER. The first thing the doctor said was...."is he ADD". I was like hell no, that is why we are here, this is not my child. So we quickly figured out he had just started taking sudafed, the doc said stop now. My son has taken decongestants his whole life to prevent bad ear infections, but only just started sudafed. Turns out, it was most likely the die that they used. I used die and sugar free before this. We stopped and it stopped immediately. I mean, it was like dr jekyl and mr. hyde.
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 12:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I cook almost everything from scratch, so this will not be a problem for us. Dd is only 7 months old and obviously has never been introduced to table food, but by the time I am cooking for her, I will be sure to be even more careful about how I prepare meals and what ingredients I use.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:05 PM on Feb. 12, 2009