how to stop child from changeing clothes 5-10 times a day?

lucy0128

Asked by lucy0128 at 11:44 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• we recently resolved this problem. i put her dresser in my room, and i would set out the clothes i wanted her to wear for the day. i explained to her that if she wanted to have the option of choosing her own clothes, she would have to choose one set and wear them the entire day. it worked well. i also got her a set of dress up clothes that she could change into.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• well with out sounding mean just tell them no. they are only 3-4 yrs old. so you should be in control still. if it was a teen then I would say have her/him wash his own clothes.
    momto4boys03-07

Answer by momto4boys03-07 at 11:48 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I agree with just telling them they aren't allowed to do that, or change the storage method if necessary so they can't just get into their clothes all the time and save yourself the battle.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:56 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• This is not meant to be a snotty answer...
    You just tell them "no". You are the parent they are the child. If you can't get them to listen to you when they are young, you will lose all control and have a rebellious monster on your hands in a few years. You don't have to be mean, just tell them "no" and explain why. Period.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• you know what mine did that about a month ago and i would go and put the clothes back tell them no and then there they go again.i decided to put some of their clothes in a basket and told them to play with those instead and they did but they were back to the one i didnt want touched.so i just decided to let them and they did it for about a week and they gave up.they are curious and want to dress themselves. if they take the clothes out have the child help you pick it up and tell the child to only change when the clothes are dirty.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 2:12 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Like pp; I would let them. It is just a phase. Put the clean ones back and wash the dirty ones. They have dress clothes, too. It is just to play pretend and be like an adult.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:59 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• OK, I had a huge problem with this with my daughter. She would always go and take more out of her drawer and change, like, 8-10 times a day. No didn't work. Timeout didn't work. So my husband told her one day that she would change from her PJ's to her clothes and if she changed, she would go all day with nothing but underwear on. Well, the next day after lunch, she walked out into the living room and she had totally different clothes on, so I made her take everything off except her underwear and she wore nothing but that all day (it was just me, her and her lil sissy) and we have never had a problem with it since. That was about 6 months ago.
    Anonymous

• I had the same problem with my son. . . and I DID say NO, and put on time out, etc. . . never sunk in. Finaly I took the knobs off his dresser, after a few weeks of being unable to get his clothes out, he took to legos and train tracks. . . I also put together a dress-up box for him, with capes, super hero outfits and just random pieces of cloth (I added sunglasses and any other accessories to make it fun over time) He loves it and if he feels the urge to change, he will use his dress up clothes.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 11:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2009