4 year old...odd behavior?

My daughter is 4. The other day while with the babysitter. She snooped around and found scissors. The babysitter was putting my son to bed. She had chopped her hair some parts down to the scalp. I had to take her to the hair salon to try to even it out well it was pretty bad she ended up with a pixie cut that has no hair longer then her hairline. I had asked her why she did it she said because I want to be a boy. The babysitter moved the scissors and up higher. Well I got a phone call today (2 days later) from the babysitter saying while she was tending to my son she had climb to get the scissors and cut more of her hair.

I don't know what to do she's pretty much bald.
Is this type of behavior a sign of something wrong?
I'm afraid of what's next

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's a sign the sitter is neglectful. Once I can understand, but twice?

All kids that age love scissors. I don't think it's odd behavior on your childs part. It's typical. Find a new sitter. Lord, what if your dd gets into chemicals next time the sitter is tending to your son.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Seems more of an inattentive babysitter issue....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• normal for kids to cut their hair!

my daughter did that too- she took a huge chunk right on the top of her head down to her scalp...and we had to cut it ALL off into a pixie with fringe around the edges- she looked like a baby skinhead!

that was the second time she cut her hair- the first time wasn't *as* bad
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I am more concerned about the babysitters inattention, the time it took her to find them and climb up and get them and THEN cut her hair is more than a couple seconds.

I wouldn't worry about her saying she wants to be a boy... that could be as simple as she has a baby brother and feels like he gets more attention than her.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Or perhaps she doesn't like all the attention to her hair. The brushing, washing, etc. Also, possible baby brother gets more attention.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 1:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• The sitter should be paying more attention. But, yes, normal. My oldest sneaked scissors one night & cut her hair in the dark (since she was sneaking) about 2 months before she turned 4 yrs old.

Before:

After:

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• most kids cut their hair at some point. Time to put the scissors far away where she does not know where they are. As far as the boy thing goes, maybe she does want to be a boy!

could it be baby brother IS getting more attention from everyone including sitter.

What are you afraid of exactly per you post?
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I am getting a different babysitter and I said I'm afraid of what's next because I don't know what she's going to do if she finds scissors again. Cut her hair....cut someone else's... cut her ear etc
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• so if she wants to continue to have short hair because she wants to be a boy will you allow or discourage? I am curious because wanting to be a boy could be a long term thing
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• DD did that, too, when she was 4--as well as snipped some of the tail of one of her MLP's. She cut a small part of her bangs so it was only about 1/2 an inch vs 3 inches. After that, I put all scissors out of reach and explained to her that Mommy is the only one to cut hair. She never looked for the scissors again & I only let her use them when I was around. I believe that DD just wanted to see what it was like. Did you ask your daughter why she wanted to be a boy? That would have me concerned that she felt this way......
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 11:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2012