Do I have to have doctor approval to go back to work after having a baby?

I had to cancel my appointment today because a Dr told me my daughter had chicken pox, but they called back and said she just had a rash from her strep throat. Now my OBGYN can't get me in until the 27th, but I need to go back to work on the 16th because my husband is off work right now, and my kids need to eat.

Do I have to get approval before going to work? Or can I return and just go get checked on the 27th?

sunshineemommy

Asked by sunshineemommy at 1:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Money & Work

• Honestly I think it depends on the state.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I tried looking it up on Google, but I couldn't find anything about it :/
    sunshineemommy

Comment by sunshineemommy (original poster) at 1:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• What kind of work do you do? If you do any kind of physical labor (retail sales where you're on your feet even), I would wait for the doctor to release you. If it's just working in an office, and you're sitting in front of a computer, it might not be such a big deal. I mean, if you're just sitting around at home anyway, it's not any more strenuous physically to sit in an office.

It'll also depend on your employer. If they require a note from the doctor that says you've been released, then you have no choice.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• 3. Can you bar a woman from returning to work for a predetermined period after she gives birth?

A. No. You cannot have a rule, for instance, that a woman must wait a month following childbirth before returning to work.

where i found the info

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• You could go back to work the day after giving birth if you so choose.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• call your job and ask them
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Your company can require a doctors note... mine did. Call human resources and ask...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My company gave me short term disabillity when I had my kids, they required a doctors note to return back to work. You need to talk to human resources to find out for sure.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• that depends on your company policy.
    Most I have been with require approval and note if you're out for over three days. For any reason. even a cold.

And yes, it's legal
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 11:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2012