Is one night a month too much to spend the night at grandmas?

I don't have a problem with letting my boys (ages 5 & 8) spend the night with my mom. She is always offering. They love staying with her. However, my husband thinks that once a month is too much and we fight every time she asks. It puts me in the middle. He trys to make me feel guilty for not having a problem with it. Is once a month really too much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in General Parenting

• No
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• not at all.
    mampanda0422

Answer by mampanda0422 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• No, I don't think so.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Nope. My youngest stays at my mom's much more often than just one night. Weekend before last he stayed 3 nights in a row.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• No, it's not too much.

I used to spend almost every Friday night at my grandmother's house. I loved it. Most of the time mom would eat with us before leaving, and I got to be with my grandparents, who I adored and pretty much gave me the values and good sense that I have today. Sadly, my mom has very rarely offered the same for my kids. Her loss.

If you drop the kids off and have a nice, romantic night, DH might just change his tune.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• If your mother doesn't care and the boys like to go, what's the problem? It's not like they are newborns or even toddlers who need mommy.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I would say no- if they like going, and she likes having them.

We NEVER had that luxury- my mom never took our kids and his mom was in another state. Needless to say my kids weren't close with either of them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• No it is not too much UNLESS one of the parties thinks it is.
    I would talk to him to find out WHY he thinks it is too much and get some insight into his objections.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• He should be taking you out on DATE NIGHT once a month anyway. You pay your mortgage once a month, you pay your electric bill once a month, you should be investing in your relationship once a month, too!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• why would you fight over this? you'd think he'd like having a kid free night every month. so long as your kids & your mom are enjoying it, wheres the harm? sounds like your DH might have a deeper problem that he either isnt aware of or isnt being honest about.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2012