I need help inscribing a bible for my 2 grandsons who do not go to church. One is 9rs old and one is 20 yrs old . My 20 yr oldis living in a group home..

Jillybop

Asked by Jillybop at 3:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• One of my grandmothers gave me a bible when I was about 8-9. I can still feel the disappointment that I felt when I opened the present... The only things I ever looked at in it were the half dozen photos of places (mount of olives, etc.)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 4:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I agree with others that perhaps a bible is not the best idea for a present, especially for the one in a group home. I mean, I love my mom (most of the time) but I would be very upset if she were to get me a bible knowing that I am not a Christian. Just saying.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Perhaps find a passage in the bible about the love of family, highlight it and reference it in the inscription. Whether or not religious I think they will cherish anything written from the heart. Perhaps a reference to how important they are in your life much like the bible has been in yours and you hope that they may find all the answers their heart seeks either in the pages of the gift that you are giving them or in the gift that is the present...
    good luck.

(I can see how someone who is not interested could be offended but, I think if my grandmother gave me a religious icon that I was not interested in and used it as a reference to how much I mean to her, I could overlook the vessel the message came in and truly relish the message. I would see it as an offer of something that had given her peace comfort and solace and her hope that she could offer me the same. in fact that may be the right idea for an inscription.)
    zbralady

Answer by zbralady at 7:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Honestly if they are not religious chances are they will not actually ever open it up. I would be more inclined to get them an inspirational book that you can flip through and read spinets of at will. Or an inspirational childrens book for the younger one. ( like 'Oh the Places You'll Go' ) and then write something in it. Adding a scripture.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Same here, Crafty. My grandmother is Catholic, and very religious, but she would never buy me a bible. She and I couldn't have more opposite views, but she respects mine and I respect hers.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• SassySue it may be a sweet gesture to you but I would be highly offended if my grandparent gave me a bible. It's great if you are Christian... not so great if you are not! Goddess Bless...

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• You mentioned that they don't go to church. Are they not religious? If not, a bible isn't really an appropriate gift. If they are religious, you might try searching Pinterest for bible inscriptions. They always have tons of great quotes or inspirational sayings.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Wow, I was only gone for a second... I think, its a sweet gesture to give a Bible to a grandchild. Or anyone...
    You maybe the one to plant that seed in them...
    Anyhow, the sing by Rascal Flats is My Wish
    Whatever you write will be a special memory to them and you...
    God Bless
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Maybe something about sharing a bit of something that has been very special to you? That you pray as they read it they will grow in knowledge and truth?

Answer by missanc at 4:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yeah, I'm curious as to why a bible as a gift.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2012