Shounld I and is there

Shounld I get the flu shot for my 13 month old and do they give 13 month olds flu shot....if yes why and if no why

tigger3itch

Asked by tigger3itch at 4:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They will give flu shots to children that young, and even younger I believe. We don't do flu shots in my house because I feel they are unnecessary. Do your own research and then make the best choice for your family.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I will say my dd gets one every year. Yes, they will give a 13 month old the flu shot as long as he/she isn't allergic to eggs.

I didn't get one for my dd the first year and she nearly died from it. It scared me so bad that I vowed to get her one every year. Knock on wood, she hasn't encountered it since. It doesn't guarantee they won't contract a strain that isn't covered in the shot, but it gives me a piece of mind.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• i personally say no. But that's because I have done research and dont think its needed
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• My kids have only gotten the flu shot once. When it was close to home (dh was coming down with it and I got paranoid).

To each their own. Do what's best for you mama.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 4:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Tigger this would be a question for the Dr. I didn't think they gave them that you ng but things may have changed. The Dr. Knows you situation (daycare/ homecare, other exposure etc. He is the one to best judge
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I think they give them for 6 months and older. I also do not get the flu shot for me or my kids( 2 and 4). Also, don't think its necessary and they can't guarantee they get the right flu strain. My DH gets his though. Everyone is different so go with your heart or gut or whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 4:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Im asking bc. Hubby side onof the family has it now ....my son is at a home daycare but it is at my house ans he is the only one and my driend watchs him lol I have never had the flu and I stoped getting the flu shot 3 years ago but
    tigger3itch

Comment by tigger3itch (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I believe healthy children over the age of 6 months can get the flu shot. I don't think they can get the spray, just the injected shot.

As for should you have him get it...well, my kids and I have never had a flu shot ever. My kids have never had the flu, and I haven't had it since I was in my early twenties (we won't discuss how long ago that was, suffice it to say it's been a while lol). We live far enough out in the country, and wash our hands enough and are generally so healthy that I don't really worry too much about it. But if you think it's a good idea, talk to his doctor and find out if they can do it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• A local teen just died from complications from the flu. It's kinda scary. My whole family gets vaccinated every year. Last year my dau had perfect attendance & has been healthy so far this year. (knock wood) Obviously this is a personal choice, so like hootie said, just do your research, talk to your child's Dr. & make your decision.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2012