Bloods a boiling......

I pick my son up from school today and ask him how his day was and he right off the bat he says, "it wasn't good!" I ask him what is wrong and he says that a group of boys always tend to pick on him. Whether it's calling him names, pushing him, stepping on his feet, cursing at him, etc..

I finally get him calmed down long enough to get the names of the kids. So a few minutes later I leave a msg for the principal to call me because obviously this has been going on for a while and I am guessing this is why he's been so crabby.

She calls me back and I let her know that something needs to happen and quick. I told her if it continues that he has every right to defend himself and he will not get into trouble for it. No, I don't condone fighting, but I won't have kids put their hands on him and he just stand there and take it.

After I gave her the names of the boys, she proceeded to tell me that he got in trouble today for kicking another boy and I told her that I would take care of that as well and hung up the phone. Come to find out he kicked that boy by mistake because one of the boys he named had kicked him first and he was trying to kick him back and missed and hit another boy. I told him that he just needs to keep his hands and feet to himself and let the teacher take care of it.

I do not see why kids have to be so mean to each other. ooooh my ears are literally burning and my son said, "mom you have a rash on your chest." lol I guess when I get mad, you can tell.. lol

ok, I need to calm down now!! gonna give myself a friggin heart attack!! :0/

goofygalno1

Asked by goofygalno1 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in General Parenting

• i cant believe they didnt call you about any of these other times, an that they werent going to contact you today about the kicking thing.. even if they thought that your son was the bully (which he clearly isnt) does this mean the bullies parents arent being notified either?
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• You didn't say how old your son is.

Physical fighting is a HUGE deal.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• You need to go to the school in person & sit down with the Principal & discuss what can be done. Maybe keep them all separated until they can all learn to get along together. I would tell my child to keep his hands to himself & if/when an incident happens to walk away & find a Teacher or another Adult in charge & get help. This way it does not escalate. GL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I think that's great that the Principal said that he has a right to defend himself. My kids are convinced that if they hit back that they will get in as much trouble as the person that threw the first punch. I have always told them that if they are defending themselves, that I will always have their back.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Keep on top of it & I'm sure you will get the results you desire. Most schools have policies in place for this type of thing. I'm glad your son finally told you what happened. I hope it gets better for him quickly. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I agree with kp0469: the school should have called you. I swear that most don't have the balls to contact people because they want to avoid conflict. One kid punched my son in the stomach and HE told me, not the teachers. Granted, they were 5 at the time, & the other boy was put in time-out at recess, but that made me lose trust in them--were they hiding it from me?? The next day, I tried to be calm & rational, but made it known that I wanted to know when things like this happened. The teacher didn't make a big deal of it, but she kept me informed of accidents after that--the boy didn't pick on him after that, either. So, my thoughts are to have a meeting with the teacher if it happened during class. If it's during recess, I would let the principal (& the teacher know). Maybe a few times a week you could even volunteer at that time to reduce the chance of this happening again? I did that and it really helped. GL
    Chocolatespring

Answer by Chocolatespring at 9:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• **You didn't say how old your son is.

He is 12
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 9:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• ***You need to go to the school in person & sit down with the Principal & discuss what can be done. Maybe keep them all separated until they can all learn to get along together. I would tell my child to keep his hands to himself & if/when an incident happens to walk away & find a Teacher or another Adult in charge & get help. This way it does not escalate. GL!

Yes, I have told him that also. I said that when it starts just to walk away and let someone know. But he has told me that everytime he does say something that no one believes him and he gets in trouble for telling. So it's kind of a lose lose situation. But I am going to go up there and see what's going on.
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 9:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Thanks ladies for all the good advice. I am hoping that this can be resolved. My son has said many times that he just wishes he could be home schooled and I now I know why. It breaks my heart that this has been going on and I felt the momma bear come out yesterday.
    goofygalno1

Comment by goofygalno1 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I think that's great that the Principal said that he has a right to defend himself.

Where did the OP say that? The way I read it, it was the mom saying that to the principal. The kid won't get in trouble AT HOME. Different story at school.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 9:59 AM on Dec. 13, 2012