Talking to some other moms today lead me to this Question about Elmo.

Are you able to separate Kevin Clash and his current predicament from the 3 1/2 year old monster character?
I was talking to some mothers who were 'going to be upset' if they allowed the Elmo character to continue since the puppeteer was a 'bad influence' and planned to start removing Elmo from their home.... Really? Elmo's following is primarily under the age of 6 and (hopefully) have no idea what molestation or even a scandal is. I can't imagine very many kids under 6 understanding why Elmo is all of the sudden bad. After all what did Elmo do? Anyway- I just wondered how may others felt this way.
Though apparently enough because Sesame workshop is not sure how big Elmo's role will be in the following season until ratings come in.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• how would you're kids know what a person did unless you tell them? It was the voice of elmo not Elmo himself.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• That's ridiculous! Are these the same Moms who are always texting when their kids are playing on the playground? I'd laugh & say "wow, I wish I had the time that you had to bother with that!"

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Of course I can. That's like saying I won't let my son watch Handy Manny because it is voiced by the guy who played Fez on That 70's Show - where use of marijuana was heavily implied. Some people are just idiots.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Do those moms avoid michael jackson too?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I am assuming that they don't want to be supportive of Kevin Clash, because he probably gets a cut on the money that comes in from Elmo.

Anonymous

• I have no problem with Elmo. My kids are past that age now, but he was a favorite.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I think it would be stupid to punish a child for an adult mistake. My LO LOVES Elmo and has no idea what the hell happened and would totally not understand my taking his Elmo away.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:49 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Anon, why would Kevin Clash get a cut of money from Elmo... he left the show and is no longer doing the voice of Elmo, just because Sesame decides to keep the puppet with another voice actor shouldn't mean they're "supporting" whatever Kevin Clash did or did not do!
    Oh and ditto Hootie!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• That is another point... nothing has been proven or disprove as of this moment. I am aware that allegations are mounting but in a nation where one is innocent until proven guilty- some individuals seem to all ready to prepare his jail cell.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Ridiculous, he provided the voice...that's all
    can you imagine trying to explain that to your 4 yr old...why they can't play with Elmo stuff anymore or whatever?

*last I heard nothing has been proven anyway
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 6:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2012