Potty training

When should I start? He is 14 months. I was thinking bout doing it once he gets in pull ups he is in size 4 diapers now. Advice or suggestions please

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 6:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start when you want to. When my kids could sit up well I started putting them on occasionally. Usually before and after a bath. My daughter actually caught on quickly and was going in the toilet about 75% of the time at nine months. I wish all of mine were that easy!

Anyway, once you actually catch them doing something you can make a big deal, make them understand that is what they are supposed to do. That took a while with one of my boys. Once they know what to do, it is a matter of helping them learn the feeling off 'I have to go!' And then teaching them to go when they feel the urge. My longest or oldest was two and a half, my others were two or under when poty trained.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• It is really up to you when you start and which approach you take. My DS was 100% potty trained by 16 months BUT only when he was naked from the waist down! He is almost 4 and still not fully trained when dressed (we are really letting him set the pace and we just had a new baby which has REALLY set him back a bit). I would just recommend against starting too early. Your baby will let you know when they are ready. I really also believe that it should be a good experience for all involved! Good luck.
    zbralady

Answer by zbralady at 7:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Definitely, what zbralady said - "it should be a good experience for all involved"

It is a process, and very few children will be fully potty trained quickly. Granted it does happen, but odds are you will be dealing with accidents and messes, off and on, for quite some time. Hang in there. Be patient. And if you find it becoming a battle or too much for you - back off!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:40 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Phew... I didn't start with my little boy until he was about 2... 14 months is very young. If it works for you, great. But I wouldn't push it right now. 2 is a good age for a boy...Even 2 &1/2...
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 18, 2012