How much juice can a 6 month old have?

Like how many oz. per day? How much do I have to dilute it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• None, IMO. I have always waited until 9 months or so and then gave 4 oz a day. But call you pedi and ask their opinion.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• 4-6 oz of juice a day. I dilute with half water, half juice...but it actually isn't necessary if your baby is on track for weight. Most babies could use the calories. A couple of guidelines...give juice in a cup or sippy cup only...not a bottle. They'll take more from a bottle and it also promotes tooth decay. Always give it after, not before, a solid meal. They won't eat as much if they're filling up on juice. Finally, the label should ready 100% juice. Check the ingredients. They should be read something like Apple Juice, Absorbic Acid (Vitamin C) and Water. No artificial sugars and no additives. They're unnecessary and unhealthy. *Note: White Grape Juice is a good alternative to apple. It causes less stomach upset.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I still dilute my 16 month old's juice with about 3/4 water, 1/4 juice. As long as they get a little of the flavor, they won't complain if they don't know different! I would say only one sippy of juice per day... at 6 mos, she should still be nursing or taking formula as her primary nourishment.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:19 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I waited till she was 10 months old and then introduced juice about 4 oz a day, diluted.
    revathy

Answer by revathy at 12:40 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• It's not necessary, but if you give it, it's recommended no more then 4 oz a day, and it should be very diluted.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't see any point in giving juice that early. There is no benefit to it, and you risk baby wanting to drink juice instead of breastmilk/formula.

If you HAVE to give juice, and i don't see why, 4 oz a day is MAX, and that's 3 oz. water, 1 oz. juice.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:09 PM on Feb. 12, 2009