Anyone with a special needs child have any luck getting medicaid to cover diapers?

My child is 6 with Autism and not potty trained yet. He is not even close yet. He will soon outgrow The Good nights and be in medical diapers!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2012 in General Parenting

• Has your pediatrician given you a "prescription" for them yet?
    I feel for ya. My son was 8 when he was fully trained

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yes. Have your doctor fill out a Title 19. Medicaid does require your child's doctor to indicate medical necessity. From there you'll have to get a pharmacy to fill it, but your doctor should be able to tell you which one will do it. We found one that delivers the supplies to the house.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I was not even aware this was a possibility until like an hour ago when looking up how to get them to cover a weighted blanket!
    I will research this further tomorrow. Just curious if and how it worked.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• well yes it works. They even cover wipes. I've done it twice now. My oldest finally toilet trained, but the baby not quite. He'll go if you take him, but won't go on his own. Not sure if they cover weighted blankets, but I know there is a mom on here who can make them at a much better price.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• I learned that weighted blanket coverage is hit or missed based , seemingly, on who gets the approval paper and their mood that day. If you know who can make the blankets though I would love to know! I read it can take up to 4 months to get one approved as 'medical equipment' if you don't have to contest it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yes. We used to get them shipped to our house monthly before my son finally potty trained through our state's Medicaid waiver program. They also paid for my sons weighted blanket and fenced our yard.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2012

• Yes get a prescription. Good luck to you.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2012