Want to see why I am glad Michigan is now a RTW state? What GM and the Union did to this city??

And that I hope change is near, more jobs are coming, which means people may move back to Flint. And in that the 65 homicides will lower and lower the other overall crime rate...here are some pics

Buick City before

Buick City after

Houses around whatwas Buick City

Used to be a school

There is so much more, another reason I wish I could move. My husband tells me Flint used to be a real good place. But with GM and various other manufacturers pull out, it leaves us with all that^^^^^

This is the Fisher Body plant, site of the the first sit down strike, hense the Union was born. These are the people who participated in the strike. My FIL is in there somewhere...

This is now...

AS I said before, I hope BIG change is coming, cause we will not last much longer. This city is RICH with history. The birth place of the UAW, as well as GM, also was a  major contributor of tanks and other war material during World War II due to its heavy manufacturing facilities ..Flint was the most publicized example of the effects of the 1970s collapse of the US auto industry on surrounding communities. This was highlighted in the film Roger and Me by Michael Moore.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Looks like a ghost town.

I wouldn't expect the economy to get better for another 6 years at least. The way they play with unemployment numbers makes people think that we are on the mend, but we aren't. We have huge amounts of people leaving the labor force. As baby boomers keep retiring the UE rates will keep inching down but really all this will mean is that those jobs are gone for good.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:20 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I am hoping and expecting good things to happen
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:21 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• QuinnMae...Ya thats what my DH said too...:(
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Sadly, RTW states are among the lowest performers economically- I wish you well, but I do not believe RTW is good for anyone-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• sometimes plants close and it has nothing to do with unions. GM pulled out of OKC long before the recession hit...the company has major issues that instead of fixing they kept trying to hide. i hope RTW helps your state, but looking at what it's done to ours, i wouldnt get your hopes up. i wouldnt be surprised if GM is using unions as an excuse to get a little bit more hope out of ppl for a failing company.

RTW was passed in 2001 and implemented in 2002...

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:15 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• How old are those "before" photos?

Answer by gdiamante at 11:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Plus, a right to work state shouldn't effect the unions at all if they are all that great. No, wait. Now they can extort dues from people just because a person wants to work. There never should have been the mind set of 'union shops'. There should have always been a right to work. If you want to join a union, then join it. But, membership shouldn't be required to have a job. I live in a RTW state. This is the first year in 24 years I have joined the NCAE. I only joined because my principal was trying hard to find a place for his problems to land. He bypassed me when he found out I joined. Sad? Yes. But, I'll be a member this year. We'll see about next year. As a conservative, I don't like my dues going to ANY political party. A union doesn't vote. People do. Don't tell me who to vote for. Lobby for educational issues only.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• ****can't extort***
    jesse123456

• "How old are those "before" photos..."Answer by gdiamante
    The before Buick City pic was taken in sometime in the 80's. At its peak, Buick City employed over 28,000. The figure varies depending upon who you ask. In 1999, most of this plant was shut down. There is a small force of 1,000 still employed in Flint, but the V6 engine factory of 700 employees. UE Flint is approaching 10%. Now, there are only about 6,000 GM workers in Flint, compared to 100,000 at its height. UE in Michigan exceeds 8%. With most of the GM plants down, Flint died, well is dying a slow and painful death. So the abandoned homes you see above has happened in a little over 12 yrs. This city greatly depended on GM, too much IMO. IOf you really want a better view of things, watch "Roger and Me" by Micheal Moore.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• You know what really sucks?? Nobody can rebuild on this land cause GM still owns it. Anybody who wants to buy it will have to pay millions of dollars in clean up according to the EPA. And the EPA says there is a high cancer risk due to all the nasty stuff that is made during the making of a car. The demolition of Buick City was in 2002.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2012