I know this cannot be normal for a 4 yr old

Me and my husband have been desperately trying to potty train our 4 yr old!! But in 1 hr, she managed to almost soak 3 pull ups!! All she had was 1 and a 1/2 glass of juice. What is going on?? Is this normal?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Kids' Health

• Texas, it doesnt matter what they have on they still feel the pee or poop on thier bodies. It does not hinder potty training.
    I wasnt saying the three I trained were 4 but it may be easier on some than having to wash tons of laundry as well.

What works for one may not work for the next. Not an argument, there is a reason this parent uses them, it does NOT mean she is enabling her child.

Your opinion or experience, not mine
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Not normal. Throw the pull ups away and consult her doctor. you'll never get her potty trained if she is wearing diapers or pull ups.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• No most children are trained right around the 3 3 1/2 year age. That would not concern me as much as the bladder issue itself. I would definitely take her to the pediatrician in the morning. There maybe something else going on ad it would concern me as well. Good Luck.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:08 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• No, I would be calling the pediatrician in the morning.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:27 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• actually I potty trained three that were in pull ups

but yes I would consult her pedi and possibly a urologist
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• No, my 3 yr old (who turned 3 yrs, 2 mo ago) has been wearing panties during the day for the last 6 months & has only had 3 accidents. She wears pull ups at night (just in case) but, only goes in them once every 2 wks. She is usually dry in the AM. So, I think your DD should get checked out.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:29 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• No offense, Luv, but at the age of 4 that child wearing pull ups is only enabling the habit.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• If what she has been eating was very salty then that's why. What did she eat?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• All of you are right to an extent. I had her in panties with the plastic training pants, so if she did tinkle a little bit it wouldn't get the couch or chair wet and stinky. I do not give her anything but a sip of water before she goes to bed for the last hour she is up. So me and hubby had no choice except getting her pull ups. I did call her doc and I have an appt Wednesday @2 if anything just to rule out anything medical. But even to this day, she has yet to wake up dry. And she will change her own pull up as well as the panties on her own, she also will go to the bathroom on her own, but she already is wet when she does so.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• If she is soaking that many diapers in a short amount of time, she needs to be tested for Type 1 Diabetes. That is the biggest indicator of diabetes in kids. Frequent urination. If that's not the issue, the doctor can find out if there is anything else wrong.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2012