How to burglar proof my apartment?

I'm moving into a apartment here in a few months. It'll be just me and my little girl. I have a pretty expensive tv and game system. The neighborhood isnt the best either,so Im worried about thiefs. I know I cant put extra locks on the doors but what else can I do to make our apartment burglar proof?

AutumnsMom1212

Asked by AutumnsMom1212 at 5:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Home & Garden

• When you move in. try not to have a lot of your stuff expossed to every on. If you can put it in a box do so. Throw a blanket over your tv if possible. for my frong door I went out and bought a pole that you can shove under the door knob

Answer by louise2 at 6:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I agree with Louise.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• There are alarm systems that sit on top of your door frame that have a loud sound if someone comes in. They aren't monitored, but it may be enough to scare someone away.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 7:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Do you have a sliding glass door? Make sure to put a wooden dowel on the rails.

Answer by missanc at 7:41 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Dont leave curtians or blinds open when you are not home,
    thick wooden dowel in bed room windows as well. We all know that a lock only keeps honest people out.
    Box your stuff up and dont write Playstation or stuff like that on the box
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:16 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Make sure you have renters insurance
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Get a BIG sign that says "Beware of Dog" put it in your window (tell management why) & then put a huge plastic water bowl outside your door. Don't tell anyone your schedule or what possessions you have. Don't let neighbors inside either to snoop.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Smith & Wesson... get a sign that says I don't call 911 that has a gun on it... lol

but all joking aside, I would definately keep all of your stuff covered up when moving in. and like the other ladies suggested, guard all windows with rods so they cannot be lifted up. But if someone wants in, they will get in.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• You can put thumb latches on the window tracks and touch alarms on the windows and doors.  These are extremely loud and easy to install: http://www.amazon.com/GE-51107-Smart-Wireless-System/dp/B00032AVN6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355411795&sr=8-3&keywords=door+alarm

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:17 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Get a home security system through ADT or Xfinity.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2012