What should I do?

I graduated highschool and got pregnant a few months later, never went to college, and been a stay-at-home mom to my 2 1/2 yr old. Well my husband and I just recently separated and I'm looking for a new start (we are still working on things however) so I'm thinking of going to school for an 18 mo course in medical assisting. I just had a new baby, 2 months old next week. I'm just lost on how to go about it. I don't want to work full-time and go to school full-time because I won't see my kids. Is it stupid to take out a loan to help with living expenses for those 18 months so I can only work part-time or maybe not at all?? I'll be getting child support too to help out. I need opinions!

luvr4ula

Asked by luvr4ula at 12:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• go for it as long as you are able to pay it back. This is a great age for your children so you don't want to miss it, but going back to school will be great for your future and theres too. You'll have great career, be able to support your family, I say go for it! You'll do great.
    MrsG423

Answer by MrsG423 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my honest opinion is yes i think it would be a bad decision to take out a loan....i know you want to see your kids but when i went though the same kind of thing i worked all week and took night classes. it sucked but when i got done i didnt owe a ton of money to anyone and i was able to work a normal shift and not have to work 3 of them to pay off the loans that i would have owed so in the big picture i got to spend more time with my kids...yes it was hard for the short time i had to do it but we made the best of every second we had together
    Rysana

Answer by Rysana at 12:20 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Student loans have REALLY high interest rates. Plus, you'd have to be able to qualify for one, and that's tough on it's own...not even considering the way the economy is. Is there no way your mom would let you continue to stay with her? I think you should definitely go to school and maybe only work part time. Or try taking as many classes online as you can, and go a couple days a week to do the in school classes.

mom2sophia711

Answer by mom2sophia711 at 2:06 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I agree with Morgan....best of luck!
    Angeloroyalty

Answer by Angeloroyalty at 2:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Well I'm sure my mom would let me live with her but that's 18 more months and I could not take living here that long, I need to get out. We don't have enough room here and I'm sick of living with my mom and depending on her. Besides...even if I stayed here while going to school and working, I still wouldnt' see the kids because they'd be in daycare 24/7. I can't do that to them and I can't miss them growing up...especially with Noah being so young, I'd miss all his firsts. :(
    luvr4ula

Answer by luvr4ula at 2:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Hello, I don't know what state you are in but I am in Ohio, My daughter has three children and is going to college, She is able to get assistance through the welfare program to receive food stamps, child care and housing, She works as a waitress three nights a week, 5 hours a night and brings home over 200.00 a week, Because she Just had her third baby she is taking online classes but will have to resume regular classes next semester, I would check into the programs they have in your area about public assistance, They are even going to pay for two years of her college, So Find out about this as soon as posiable,
    Best of luck to you,
    Amber
    Amberlynn2001

Answer by Amberlynn2001 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I was thinking that a lot of community colleges have daycare too. You might want to look at all the ones around here that offer your program and see if they have daycare:-)
    twny

Answer by twny at 6:50 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I would assume you would get assistance from the government since you have 2 kids so you will need daycare and money to live off of. At least in my state, most mom's can get a lot of school paid for and even help with their living expenses. I would look into that option. Contact the county you live in and ask where to start.
    JessalynnJade

Answer by JessalynnJade at 8:36 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Not stupid at all! I have student loans and most people do. Have you applied for the Pell Grant? That paid for my college & books the whole 5 years & the students loans just paid for my food & rent.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• wouldn't borrow money. you might want to consider this opportunity - stay at home and work

www.DoctorsMission.com

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 21, 2009