Rapex adult content

have you guys seen the article about Rapex floating around on facebook?

Rape has become a pandemic in South Africa, so a medical technician named Sonette Ehlers developed a product that immediately got national attention there. Ehlers had never forgotten a rape victim telling her formerly, " If only i had teeth down there."
Some time afterward, a man came into the hospital where Ehlers works in excruciating pain because his penis was stuck in his zipper.
Ehlers merged those images and came up with a product she called RAPEX. It resembles a tube, with barbs inside. The woman inserts it like a tampon, with an applicator, and any man who tries to rape the woman impales himself on the barbs and must go to an emergency room to have the RAPEX removed.
When critics complained that it was a medieval punishment, Ehlers replied tersely, " A medieval device for a medieval deed."
( this was in half the sky written by Nicholas Kristof)

wow! there's also a picture of it, it looks like a condom almost but with sharp teeth on the inside. what are your thoughts on this?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I've never heard of it. I think it's a great idea, though! lol As far as the critics - wtf? A man is trying to rape me, and someone's going to be mad at me for using a "medieval device" to protect myself? Seriously? And people wonder why some men think it's acceptable to force themselves on us.

I say if you don't want the medieval punishment, then don't commit the damn crime. It's really very simple. If you aren't trying to force your penis in a woman's vagina, you won't have to worry about this device, now will you?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:44 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I've seen this before...the whole thing is- how much would this cost , is it re-usable (until it uh ...attaches to someone else) and what a pain to have to use it every day-because you never know when you would...need it!

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:45 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• ^^^my thoughts also.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:46 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• If the story is true I find nothing unethical about it. A woman can insert whatever she wants inti her body. If someone is injured because he forced himself on her, too bad. On the other hand there are many ways to rape a woman and this could backfire. By inserting some other object first into the vagina or killing her be ause she had the device. Rape is not about sex. It is a crime where sex is used as a weapon. Weather by penile penetration or a broomstick the effects on the woman remain traumatizing.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• If I were living in South Africa, where rape was common, your damn right I'd wear it. I have read of this.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 8:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• It's a great idea, if it's reusable until it's needed. But like FrogDawg said, the rapists may begin using objects, or they'll find a different way to check for & remove it. But if it discourages even one potential rapist, it's worth having!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• There should be consequences to every action. I do agree with charlot though. Is this something that is affordable to use all of the time, because rapists don't make appointments.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:11 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Snopes said it has never been distributed.

It was supposed to cost apr. .50-.60 and was not reusable.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Medieval punishment? Pft. Yeah, those poor rapists having their johnson barbed. Let's save our pity and outrage for someone who deserves it.

If they can come up with a way to make it affordable and reusable, I think it would be a great idea for those women who would like to wear it.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:17 AM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Amen, its about time!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 13, 2012