Whats the safest amount of otc painkillers we can take daily?

took 600 mg of ibuprofen total yesterday, last dose was 2 am this morning. then took 1000mg of extra strength tylenol at 10am. im trying to hold out as long as possible (severe wisdom toothache) between doses, and brushing my teeth/swishing with listerine helps keep it under control also. the tylenol helped but started wearing off after 2.5 hours. i want to take 400mg of ibuprofen at 2, then another 1000mg of tylenol at 4 (if needed, usually the ibuprofen works much better than the tylenol) and finally another 2 ibuprofen's at 10 so i can HOPEFULLY get through the night. last night was awful and not an experience i want to relive.

i know i need to go to the dentist, im pretty sure it's another exposed nerve in my upper wisdom tooth on the other side (had this experience in 2010 on the opposite side and it cost about $300 to get it removed- no insurance) but i dont have that kind of money right now. the pain came on very suddenly and isn't really coming down, with the exception of the painkillers.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Health

• when it gets unbearable like last night, the pain stretches all the way up to my eyeball, down to my neck and across to the front of my teeth. i was ready to yank the fucker out myself last night LOL
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• You can't keep taking all that.
    My doc doesn't recommend taking OTC's more than 3 days in a row,and you're taking ALOT of each

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• well, each ibuprofen contains 200 mg. so i took 3 of those yesterday.

then each tylenol contains 500mg and took 2 of those.

i waited 8 hours from the last ibuprofen to take the tylenol, and it's been 3 and a half hours since i took anything else. i really am trying to wait as long as possible lol and its only been one day so far.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• maybe i should just stick to taking 1 ibuprofen instead of two :( i guess im thinking about overcompensating so it doesnt get to the point it did last night. and really, just the 1 ibuprofen at 2 am did help it stop and i was able to sleep for a while. so i guess ill just continue with 1 ibuprofen every 8 hours but maybe take 2 tylenol since its not as strong.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I have seen my boys (now grown men) through countless sports injuries - breaks, sprains, etc. Every doctor they ever went to said you can take 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 6 to 8 hours, taken with food so it doesn't upset your stomach. You just cant do it for days and days as it will eventually mess with your kidneys. But they did it through the healing of their injuries at the advice of the sports medicine doctors....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Well, my primary dr recommended I take 1600 mg of ibuprofen daily for 3 months while I was trying to get in to see a rheumatologist. He knew from blood tests that there was inflammation, but didn't know why or from where. But you should take as little as possible to kill the pain, and alternating the ibuprofen with tylenol is good.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Do topicals work, like the stuff you would put on your baby's gums? Call the oral surgeon and see if they will take payments.

As for pain killers, I believe the hospitals usually go off of body weight to determine how much you can have and how often.  I don't know those numbers though.  Sorry.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:33 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• ibuprofen:
    800mgs every 8 hours (this is an rx strength dose) OR
    600mgs every 6 hours (also an rx strength dose) OR
    400mgs every 4 hours (OTC strength dose)...
    NO MORE then 2400mgs in 24 hours...

I know you can piggy back tylenol onto that but I don't know how to tell you to do that safely.

Also... have you tried Dent-temp to cover the nerve??
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Crafty- where can I find dent temp? I bet that would make a world of difference.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Dec. 13, 2012