S/O Do you think every woman should be employed?

Do you think there is something "wrong" with woman who stays at home after her kids have started school even though her family can afford for her to do so?

Conversely

Do you think a woman that works outside the home is wrong for doing so if her family can afford for her to stay home?

I think the women's movement was about choices. Choices are good, IMO, we are all different and have different needs and situations. Make your choice, be happy with it, and leave each make their choices. That is my motto.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 2:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2012 in General Parenting

• It's all contingent on the individual family. I'm able bodied, I "should" work. But someone needs to be here. I have to adjust my life and that of my family's to the military demands, not the other way around. My husband works 12-14 hour days. It's not cheap to have three kids full time in school with before and after care and the extra costs for school breaks and early release. I get money from the VA every month, which I am entitled to through my 12 years of service and service connected disability. I move every 2-3 years. Unless I can find a good paying contracting job, there is zero point in working. I don't consider myself "lucky" with this shitty transient lifestyle that "allows" me to stay home, wherever that is.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• No. I think people should do what they feel is right. Some women aren't happy staying home and some women aren't happy going to work. It's just a different kind of productivity IMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I think if a mom is ...staying home and dropping her kids at daycare-or having someone else watch them that's pretty lame
    *yes-I know people like that

otherwise-whatever works
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I think everyone should do what works for their family. The only thing that bothers me is when people tell me "you're so lucky" to be a sahm. I worked awfully hard to get where I am and it took a lot of planning, it also takes a lot of cost saving measures - it's not luck.

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I think every family is unique and its between the couple to manage their family in a way that works for them.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Should? No
    Well,if she isn't working and they have to go on PA,then yes
    I haven't worked since 1999. I am my family's "insurance policy". We don't have anyone to watch our autistic son should he get sick/be on school break,so at home I stay
    We can afford to have me not work

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:36 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• a mom who stays home usually DOES work, she cleans house, cooks, washes laundry, runs all the errands, takes kids to doctor appts etc and although she does not get a pay check she gets paid from the smiles, the thank yous even if theyare few and far between and a payment of knowing she is available should her children need her during the day. That is payment enough for me!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:01 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• They can do what ever is right for their family. If she doesnt work but kids are in school and they can afford for her to stay home, who cares what she does and vise versa for a working home that can afford to stay home.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I have been working since I was 14. I cannot wait for retirement.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• If a family can afford for one parent to stay at home without public assistance, then fine. As long as both parents are fine with the arrangement, then why should I care? The same applies to those mothers who choose to work. As long as they can afford the daycare, then why should it bother me? I never had the choice. As the primary breadwinner in my house, I knew I would have to work. But for those SAHMs that resent being told they are "lucky", maybe you should consider the speaker probably meant "fortunate". Not all of us are able to manipulate our resources to the same extent.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2012