Work has me so exhausted, I feel like I cant function sometimes... (long, sorry!) Just need to vent for a minute...

Im sitting at my desk right now, and I swear I could literally fall asleep. It has been crazy weird here the last few days!! Holidays are always nuts bc I work with people brand new in their recovery, and they are learning new ways to celebrate the holidays without drugs or alcohol, plus they dont have any "regular" coping skills for normal holiday stresses ... their normal pattern is to get high, loaded, drunk etc.

But the last two days have topped everything!!! It started with me making a mandatory reporter call to DHS since one of my residents told me his 16year old daughter showed up for her weekend visit obviously high, and had marijuana in her jacket pocket. She told him her mom gave it to her. Once those words are past his lips, and to my ears, I have no choice but to report it. Its the law. Bio mom finds out about the report and FREAKS OUT!! She has been calling me, my office, my supervisor, etc non stop threatening lawsuits, tv exposure, etc etc. There's nothing she can do but its such a pain to deal with on top of everything else, and of course everything has to be documented.

Then one of my poor young mom residents gets notified authorities found her mom shot to death in her apartment. Poor thing... She's devastated. We are helping her as much as we can, but a lousy thing to happen at Christmas time, especially...

Then one of my young moms gets arrested in front of her kids on a simple probation violation but she freaks the hell out, and causes them to freak out cuz she starts screaming "Dont take my kids from me at Christmas!!" Which was never gonna happen but now I have two little kids totally traumatized....

Needless to say, yesterday was a very long day, and today is continuing in the same vein... Im so tired. Any chance I can just crawl into bed for about a month???? I think my brain just went numb.

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Money & Work

• Well, give yourself a break. You are seeing a different side of the holidays than most people do. Its understandable that you wouldn't be upbeat when you have to make a call to DHS about a teenager bringing pot to her father in a recovery facility, or dealing with a distraught daughter who's mother was just murdered, or a mother that got arrested in front of her young kids that are now scarred by that event. Any one of those are reason to not feel 'in the spirit', but to deal with all of that at once is a lot for anyone. And being tired makes it worse. That's more than most people deal with in any given holiday season.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Hope things get better for you. It's a rough time a year then throw everything you do on top of that and WOW... I'll keep you in my prayers and hope you get sometime to just clear your head a bit to rest.
    P.johnson

Answer by P.johnson at 6:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I'm sorry things are so hectic. I am sure the people you help see you in a different light though. I'm sure that they look to you for hope and inspiration. I'm sure it's hard to have to be the responsible one that has to follow protocol and make decisions you would rather not have to make. Hang in there.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• First of all, bless you for doing what you do. It's difficult work, and most people couldn't do it.

Second, I totally understand not feeling upbeat for the holidays. I haven't been into the holiday season for years now, but that's because up until about 6 months ago I was working in ER. It always depressed me more than anything. At the same time, I did try to realize how good my life is and appreciate everything a little more.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• How about watching a silly movie or a good tear jerker to release those pent up emtions and then a nice hot bath.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:26 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Thanks, Quinn, Im just so frustrated with myself. Everyone around me is all "Merry Christmas!" and so upbeat, and I just want to cry I am sooo tired.... :(
    Nimue930

Comment by Nimue930 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2012