Antidepressant meds/anxiety

I am on meds for depression and it is also for anxiety I take it around 5-6 after dinner since I have to take it with food, but dh said it probably isn't helping my a anxiety because most meds you have to take in the morning. He said if I take it at night then it wears off. Is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Health

• If its extended release then it is engineered to release a little bit at a time into your system, and it wont matter when you take it. You will be getting a little bit throughout a 24 hour period. a lot of these pills say XR after the brand name. Ask your doctor about dosage times... or google it and see what it says.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I have no idea. Ask your Dr. if that makes a difference.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• You would have to verify that with your doctor. Is it extended release? If so, then it shouldn't wear off before you take your next dose. When I was on an antidepressant, I was told to take it at night, nut that was because it made me kind of lethargic.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• It really depends on what you take. I take one that is time released, but I have to take it twice a day. As far as wearing off...it does, but not like allergy meds wear off. As far as I understand it, most kind of build up in your system. So even though it technically wears off, it's still in your system.

But the only way to get any real answers is to talk to your doctor. It depends on what you are taking, and your doctor would be the best one to look at that and help you figure it out. Does it make you feel better? If you don't feel you're getting any benefit, then that would be a reason to change. But if you think it's helping, then ignore your husband. You know how you feel.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:13 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• *but*
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I take it every single day
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Most of those types of medications work by building up the drug in your system. They do nothing at all for about 2 weeks, and you aren't supposed to stop them cold turkey for the same reason.
    Try taking it at a different time of day and see what happens.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I'm on meds for anxiety and depression. I have certain meds for in the morning and before bed. It all depends on what type of meds you are on. Talk to your doctor he/she will be able to tell you when to take them and be most affective.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2012