I signed up for a Christmas toy drive and bought a little girl a babydoll but I didn't realize her race was black , I am not racist and I want to know if it would be okay to give her the white babydoll?

Cunnane25

Asked by Cunnane25 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't see why not.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Why does everyone have to preface any discussion about white/black with "I am not racist"?

Anyway, I don't see it as being a problem.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I don't know if this helps you or not, but when I worked for Hasbro, the black baby dolls never sold. They were always on clearance. They did a study on it and found that most children buy the white baby dolls....

I have no idea why....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:03 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I don't see why it would be a problem either. I have three little girls they are mixed but when we get dolls we just get dolls. Not a big deal what race the doll is. So I think it should be fine
    P.johnson

Answer by P.johnson at 6:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I think it's a very kind thing you are doing. Babies come in all colors so I doubt it will be seen as anything but generous.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• last year, daughter wanted a dark skinned baby doll
    i had a very hard time finding one

do not even get me started on how hard it is to find a dark skinned barbie
    there is one disney princess and that is it
    i did get the last dark skinned male barbie/ken doll on the shelf- i had to go to walmart (which i try to never do)

daughter and i are white
    she wanted a "dark skinned doll" (she does not know the term black)
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• If you DID buy a black doll, I'm sure someone somewhere would have said "Oh I guess since we are low income/need help at Christmas, etc. that we MUST be black!"
    Toys are toys. Who cares.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:07 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• If it were me I would return it and get a doll reflecting her own race. That is just my gut feeling.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• It is fine. You are over-thinking it. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Well my daughter is mixed, so I make sure she has dolls of all colors, its important for children of color to have toys dolls etc that look like them as well as those that look like others. So she has white, darkskin, latina looking dolls etc, its upto you, it isnt a big deal to give the white doll, it should be fine, but its also nice to be thoughtful enough to care that it might be an issue, good for you. I guess ask yourself this would you give a white child a black doll as a gift???? Whatever you answer to that should help you with your decision.
    Anonymous