How can I make this work?

I have been with an amazing man for the last 2 yrs. We have an awesome relationship. We don't fight, we have things in common, we have so much fun. I know without a doubt that he loves me. There is no doubt that I love him. The problem is that we live an hour away. We only see each other on the weekends. It's been 2 yrs. I want to see more of him. He has a great job where he lives and it's a great city. I really want to move there. I have 3 children from my prior marriage. I have full placement of 1 of them with the exception of every other weekend. My ex has the other 2 except for every other weekend. The kids are together on the weekends. So I need a 3 bedroom apartment.
The weekends is just not enough for either of us anymore. I don't even know what my question is here. I just need some help.

tempsingl3mom

Asked by tempsingl3mom at 6:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Relationships

• It's only an hour. In my world that's a normal commute. **grin**

I'd live with it till the end of the school year and move then. Having BEEN moved halfway through a school year as a child, I'd never do it to a child unless there was absolutely no choice.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Has HE said anything about you being closer? Is the relationship headed for commitment? I would find out all that before moving to be near HIM.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Can you split the difference and have you both move a half hour and meet in the middle...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• He wants me closer. The relationship is headed for commitment. He is afraid that I don't want to move closer. That simply isn't the case.
    tempsingl3mom

Comment by tempsingl3mom (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Up rooting kids is never a good idea, they will rebel at school or even to the new guy. But I am a sucker for love talk things out with Mr. Man!
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Kids get uprooted all the time. I have seen many military failies that seem to thrive on it. My kids were just fine. You HOPE to stay in one place but that is not always possible. I think Crafty has a good suggestion.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• find quality time...
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Sounds like your question is "Should you bring up the idea of moving closer or moving in together?" I would talk to him about that and if it's easier for him to move closer to you or vice versa. An hour away is not that bad. That's my average commute to work. Since you've only been together for 2 years, which is relatively a young relationship, I would not recommend moving in together but only moving closer. Most relationships where the couple lives together before marriage tend to fail because it's too soon for that type of pressure on commitment and space. Talking from personal experience and experiences of dozens of friends. For some people, they'd rather test that out before they get married. It's ultimately your call. If things are going great, then why fix what isn't broken? On the other hand, I've known couples that find out why it was so great when it was a distant relationship and got heartbroken. Think it through.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2012