K I'm confused. Help anyone?? Lol

I'm Puerto Rican both of my parents are also. They were born in Puerto Rico I was born in the us. Not that it matters considering its part of the us. But I got some papers on the mail and they labeled me as a Hispanic white. How can I be Hispanic and white? I've seen people say Hispanic wasn't a race Latino isn't a ethnicity etc. so can someone pleaseeee break this down to me??? And I'm not offended at all!!! This isn't racism or anything before you people start making accusations. Lol! It's just been yearsssss since I've been in high school so my knowledge of history is a little dusty!!! Hahahaha and yes I'm posting annoymos you people can be judgmental lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2012 in General Parenting

• Sounds like an oops to me, but that also depends on when you were born and what your birth certificate says. My DH was born in the US but mexican-american, to parents who were born in the US, who were born to parents born in Mexico. Clear as mud?

His birth certificate says he is/was caucasian. Latino is an ethnicity, not a race.

"Race refers to a person's physical appearance, such as skin color, eye color, hair color, bone/jaw structure etc. Ethnicity, on the other hand, relates to cultural factors such as nationality, culture, ancestry, language and beliefs."
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I guess you're either Caucasian,Black,or Asian only

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Just like all africans are black? No their are white Africans, From south Africa.
    Like Ricky Martin, he looks white, but isn't. Think he is Puerto Rican

Answer by louise2 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Yes. You are other black or white. Classification of White Hispaenic is a new thing. My daughter got her drivers permit this year and that is what it says. You can also be classified as Black Hispanic. My birthcertificate says white as does my daughters. Weird isn't it.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:59 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Should say either not other damn ipad
    booklover545

• When I filled out a form recently I checked the box that said "non Hispanic white." I guess that's becoming more common to clarify exactly where someone falls for statistical purposes.

Answer by missanc at 8:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I would say you are hispanic ore Latino but not white since your parents are not white. I would say whoever sent you the papers is confused.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• LOL I mark other.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• Ive heard it used broken down like white hispanic being lightskinned latina/o's like Salma Hayek, Ricky Martin, Christina Aguilera and black hispanic as in dark skinned latina/o's like A-Rod, Christina Milian and Zoe Saldana.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

• I've filled out a lot of forms like that for school stuff (scholarship apps, etc) where it's two different categories - first is the black/white/asian/etc, and then a second, separate question for hispanic or latino, yes or no.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2012