Do you still leave a tip when you order "to go" ??

I used to always leave one, a small one, but then started to change my mind and not leave anything. I mean, its my gas, my ass who's getting off the car to pay.. why should I leave a tip? So the last couple times I got a strange "look" when not leaving one. Am I a scrooge for not tipping on "take-out" or "to-go" orders?

xtina34

Asked by xtina34 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I don't tip either. But I always feel like I did something wrong if I don't tip, I get that glare as I'm cashing out like they're waiting to see if I tip or not. ...."ehhh.. I'm just going to take my pizza and go now...."

What puzzles me are places like Subway or Cold Stone Creamery, where they have that little make shift tip jar...? why? Their job is no different than some guy working at Burger King, so what's with the tip jar?
    kb714

Answer by kb714 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• No. I believe tips are for good service and with to go you aren't being served at all.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Lol no I only leave a tip when we dine in
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 12:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I leave a tip for dine in and at Sonic (not always - cause half the time it's wrong!)
    Moomie

Answer by Moomie at 12:41 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• i know what you mean kari...i've always wondered that too. now i leave little donations in the plastic sad dog on the counters, but i do not leave little tips for making my sandwitch the way i tell you to...i believe that's their job description ;)
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 12:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I don't, unless they have curb side service. If they have to come out to my car because my lazy a$$ can't get out and get it they deserve a tip!
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Moomie, I want a Sonic here!
    jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Yeah, Jspy.. for sure. We do the Applebees carside to go and always tip cause its her ass standing in the rain, while I stay nice and dry inside the car with my holey sweatpants and socks.

xtina34

Answer by xtina34 at 12:57 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Oh gawd Moomie, you had to mention Sonic. It's been 9 years and... 11 days since I've had a Sonic chocolate malt. Now I don't even remember the question.
    Abomnablesnogrl

Answer by Abomnablesnogrl at 1:11 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Dunkin Donuts has a tip jar. For what? Wating 5mins to get a donut?
    cjaw1018

Answer by cjaw1018 at 7:04 PM on Feb. 12, 2009