Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I don't want to make another mistake, but...

I have made some big mistakes when it comes to college. I majored in one thing and in my senior year decided that's not what I want to do. I changed majors and schools more times than I can count, and I have ran up about $25,000 debt in student loans. Definitely not one of my finer moments. Anyways, I feel like I have worked really hard to over the past few years to change by old habits. I have earned a $5,500 scholarship that can be used towards repayment of student loans or to go back to school. In August 2013, I will earn another $5,500 scholarship (so $11,000 total).

I would like to go back to school and finish my bachelor's degree. I have found a program (not for profit and it is accredited) that will let me finish my degree in either Business Administration: Organizational Management or Business Administration: Business Management. The organizational management will only take 14 months to complete and costs $10,000. Business Management will take 18 months to complete and will cost $12,000. These prices are tuition/fees only, books will be extra.

Here is my dilemma. I have the first $5,500 in hand but will not get the second $5,500 until next August. The next session starts in January. I can pay for the first semester's cost now and I will have the second semester's money right the time classes start. However, I am afraid that something will happen and I won't get the second scholarship, and I will be in the same boat- lots of student loans, and no degree. I have also received a "promotion" recently and I have taken on a lot more responsibility. So, I am wondering if I really want to start classes in January. On the other hand, if I start in January I can be finished with my degree by the time that my contract for my current job is up and I can have a degree in hand along with non-competitive eligibility status for federal jobs, and some awesome experience to put on my resume. 

So, should I start classes in January or shoudl I wait until August when I have that second scholarship in hand?

 
JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2012 in Money & Work

Level 35 (75,338 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • I say Go for it. That diploma is a plus. I can't tell you what to major in as that is something you need to want to do with your life and it is just too personal a choice for anyone else to make.
    Dardenella

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

  • For me, it would depend on my current financial situation and the demand for my current line of work. I don't like debt or uncertainty. If you feel secure in both your finances and current field, then I'd do it.
    HHx5

    Answer by HHx5 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2012

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN