Diaper rash on 1 month old.

It started as just redness and is now raised with some obvious skin breakdown. It's not bumps like a yeast but raised patches especially around her legs and a bit around her anus with some moving towards the vulva. She's had something like this before but it went away when we changed her formula to the hypo-allergenic, so part of me is wondering if she might be reacting to the diapers with it being around her legs where the elastic is(latex?but seems to simple).
We've tried diaper cream but it didn't do anything and we're trying baby powder now(relax I'm putting it on with a cotton ball not shaking the can all over) but it just seems like it happened really fast for it just being wetness.

I'm kind of looking for ideas that I haven't thought of yet. I guess we'll just go to the doctor in the morning because she's really uncomfortable and it spread fast but has anybody had this happen to their kids? What was it? What worked?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter got something similar and I thought it was due to some medications that I was on while breast feeding...so I quit breast feeding. No dice. Finally found out from my doctor that it was most likely due to the hormones excreteing from her body thanks to mine! We had good luck with a combination of triple paste and powder on top of that. It was a bit messy but it seemed to afford her some relief. I still definitely recommend seeking a dr.s opinion though. Good luck to you and your little one!
    zbralady

Answer by zbralady at 5:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I had no luck with any diaper cream other than Burt's Bee's, which worked amazingly well. Perhaps switching brands of cream?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 6:15 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I'd change diapers first - one of mine had a similar reaction that went away in less than a day after switching brands.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:41 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Start with the Dr. first. Obviously you are changing diapers right after she pees or has a bowl movement so this is what I would do. You may be rubbing her with wipes toomuch to clean her. My kids never had diaper rashes because what I did was: First I would always use Desitin at every diaper change (pee or poo). If they pooped, I would wipe away the poo very gently with one or two wipes then rinse them under the sink with warm water & Johnson's baby wash. Pat dry, add more Desitin & then diaper. I never just wiped & wiped. I always washed in the sink for poop. As I said, you probably irritated her skin from wiping too much. Talk to the Dr. though. Hope I helped a little. My youngest is 16 months now.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:52 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• My daughter had some really sensitive skin as a baby. She'd get rashes so bad she'd wind up with dime sized open sores on her butt. Desitin Creamy overnight formula, applied liberally, and switching to Pampers Sensitive wipes really helped.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Corn starch, its cheaper and works better than any butt cream out there.

One of my kids had a horrible rash that wouldn't go away with anything, then my mom suggested I use corn starch. By the child's next diaper change, it was almost all gone.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 12:14 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• could be the diapers or the wipes. My kids can use off brand diapers but cannot on wipes. Off brand wipes make them break out into severe rashes.
    KLynneH

Answer by KLynneH at 4:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• I used Desitin
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:21 AM on Mar. 12, 2014