Sigh... dentist or doctor?

the past two days ive had a really bad toothache, last night i was able to sleep through the night & it was okay when i woke up this morning. havent eaten anything yet but im sure when i will it'll aggravate it again. i can sort of feel the wave coming on now as i type this.

and, as if i wasnt suffering enough, my throat was killing me this morning, and when i blew my nose (TMI) it was green. yay!

so which should take priority here? or, where should i go first? i really want to get the tooth taken care of ASAP but can they take it out if i have some kind of infection going on somewhere else? should i go to the doctor and take care of the infection before i see a dentist for the tooth?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2012 in Health

• the dentist can write you a script for an infection - could it be from te tooth that you hae gotten an infection?
    either way you are gonna have 2 appts, either 2 to dentist or 1 to doc, 1 to dentist

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I was thinking along the same lines as luv, that it could be an infection from the tooth. I think I'd probably try the dentist first - even if he can't do anything until your infection is cleared, maybe he can at least prescribe a painkiller or something.

Oh, and on that note, have you tried clove oil? I hear it can ease tooth pain. You can get it at the pharmacy, no script required.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• If you can really only do 1, go to the doctor - get on antibiotics that'll cover both (cuz it sounds like the tooth is infected too). But yes, the dentist will pull while you have other crud going on (at least mine did) if that pain is the bigger deal (and frankly, I'd probably go to the dentist and have it pulled & ask for an antibiotic, which some give anyway).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:38 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• See your dentist IMMEDIATELY. You may have an abscess and the only way to deal with it is to drain it. The reason I think it's an abscess is that they sometimes die down for a day or two before coming back with a vengeance. After that, you may still have to see the doc but at least the pain will have been dealt with.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:26 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I'm heading to the dentist in an hour :( my throat isn't t bothering me as much as it was earlier
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I would go with the dentist because you know that's causing you a lot of pain.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:02 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I would go to the doctor. Sinus infections can cause tooth pain, especially in wisdom teeth. Sinuses are connected to the jaw which can cause tooth pain. I learned this after many sinus infections. I thought my tooth pain was caused by my wisdom teeth but I had sinus infections. But, I HATE going to the dentist and would let my teeth fall out before I went, so the doctor is a logical choice for ME.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2012