We went through like 4 bottles of medicine in the last week!

My 2nd dd (5yo) started with a cough/cold last friday, she was sick all weekend, stayed home mon and tues, went to the doctor monday. then my older dd (9yo) started on tues, now she is coughing and coughing and stayed home. and of course my youngest, ds 3yo, couldn't avoid it and he stayed home today just starting the cough and runny/stuffy nose. Granted not all 4 of those bottles of medicine were full to start with but still! It sucks too because medicine is SO expensive and we really can't afford to keep buying more but my kids are MISERABLE and the doctor just said it was a virus and to give them OTC stuff to help with the coughing and stuffiness so they could sleep... yeah that's not even working though cause we've not had a good night's sleep in this house since last week!
SO, any suggestions on what else we can do to kick out this awful cold/cough? besides going back to the doctor and asking for something stronger, which i'm tempted to do already...

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 10:57 AM on Dec. 14, 2012 in Kids' Health

• I've heard many success stories about rubbing Vicks on their feet and putting socks on afterward. All the stories I read claimed that it made the cough go away. It also works on adults too. I have yet to try this out but plan on doing so if my kids (or myself) happen to get sick like this.
    idealdreamer

Answer by idealdreamer at 12:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2012

• 1 - Local honey. I know it sounds dumb, but trust me here.
    2 - humidifiers throughout the house
    3 - before bed, let them stand in the bathroom and run the hot water in the shower so it gets all steamy in there for about 15 mins.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I am on the downside after 4-5 weeks of coughing. I found the Dollar General's brand of Delsym for just $4.00 and having been buying that. It doesn't really help to get an antibiotic or anything like that unless the sputum turns anything but clear or white. (gross I know). Keep a vaporizer on them and keep them plenty hydrated... that's about it. Oh, and use Vicks. You can apply that to the bottoms of their feet and rub it in.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:08 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Try to make sure there's plenty of moisture in the air in your home. That will help some. I always keep a large pot of water going on the stove. I can't find a humidifier I like, so I just do what my Mom did.
    A warm bath will help loosen up everything, and it wouldn't hurt to let them have one during the day... You can also elevate their bed, so their sinuses can drain... Hope they're feeling better soon.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Thanks ladies, i've been doing those things but will keep up with it until it goes away, I only have one small humidifier in the girls' room so I like your idea about keeping a pot of water going on the stove MrsLeftlane, my parents used to do that also on their wood stove. I wish we had a wood stove because with our temps going below zero every day this week our heater has been running non-stop and that is really not helping with the air quality :-/
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Humidifier and honey are our first things to try when dealing with congestion and colds. I actually use honey in place of cough medicine. We'll drink camomile, ginger or mint tea with honey or fresh lemonade with honey during the day, and I'll keep a couple small syringes full of honey by my bed at night to treat those late night coughing fits (easier to administer in a syringe). I'm allergic to a lot of OTC meds so I keep things as simple and natural as possible when I get sick, and it works really well.

By the way, what I understand is that local honey might help with allergies since the pollen that triggers the allergies might be the same stuff that bees make the honey from, but local honey doesn't make a difference for colds. But if anyone in your house deals with allergies, you might as well look for local when you can.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:13 PM on Dec. 15, 2012