Republicans should be jailed.

What do you do when it has been a while since you made headlines? If you are Harry Belafonte, apparently you say the president should jail Republicans.

The American singer-songwriter, once considered the “Kind of Calypso,” this week ignited outrage – and plenty of eye rolls – after speaking with MSNBC’s Al Sharpton and saying President Obama should rule like a third-world dictator and toss his GOP opponents behind bars.

“That there should be this lingering infestation of really corrupt people who sit trying to dismantle the wishes of the people, the mandate that has been given to Barack Obama, and I don’t know what more they want,” he said. “The only thing left for Barack Obama to do is to work like a third world dictator and just put all these guys in jail.”

Belafonte went on to claim that Republicans are "violating the American desire" by working to keep government limited, taxes low and the country solvent. Sharpton was clearly amused by the suggestion – and could be heard laughing in the background.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/12/14/harry-belafonte-msnbc-criticized-over-jailing-republicans-remarks/

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 11:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Here is the NBC video of him on Sharpton's show, obviously not doctored by fox news. His ridiculous statement starts at about 3:10 in the video. Sharpton, as expected, chuckled at the notion. Morons.

These guests on the video are so divisive and partisan there is no point talking to people like that.  

I agree that he is a jerk.  The people that scream the loudest for tolerance are the last one's to give it.  I'm guessing they voted for revenge.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I did vote for Romney. He was the candidate that best represented my ideals on issues in my own order of importance. FTR, none of the candidates fully represented my ideals, so I have to prioritize the issues to what I feel is most important. I don't think Obama is competent in regards of the economy and fiscal issues. I think he is reckless, much like Bush, but he spends at a much faster rate.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• BTW, when I see an article and I think it's bias, I check other sources to find the middle ground. Unless there is video, in which case we get to hear the words from the horse's mouth.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• All media is owned by someone who wants to sway your thoughts and votes turn the TV off you don't really have control it's all smoke and mirrors to make you think you have control even Obama is controlled by someone!
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 11:34 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• As a woman with daughters it would be irresponsible for me to vote for Romney.

Why?

As a woman with 1 daughter, 1 daughter in law and 4 granddaughters EVERYONE in our family voted for Romney.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• "Belafonte went on to claim that Republicans are "violating the American desire" by working to keep government limited, taxes low and the country solvent." Apparently not, most people do want limited government, the majority that voted for the president this time around I think were just worried about right now. Most do want fiscal responsibility. He is leaving out the fact the the repubs still hold the House, they were voted in again. This guy is a jerk.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Thank u, Quinn. I had just found that same video!
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• No problem. I'm good at google some days.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:39 AM on Dec. 14, 2012

• It's just scary that it's even brought up. He says that the American people have spoken and they have. They could have easily voted the Republicans out of the House but they didn't. Not much change in the Senate either. I think that says the American people want us to compromise for the good of ALL the people. To bad that neither side knows how to do that.

In order to balance things and get us growing again we're going to have to have some painful cuts made and we're going to have to raise taxes. It's a fact. If this was a home budget we'd have to increase the money coming in and cut out dinner out, lower temp in home, etc. Whatever it took to get things to balance. Why can't our leaders get this?
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Ummm, The Onion is more reliable than Fox News.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 11:21 AM on Dec. 14, 2012