A land without guns. This is pretty interesting

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/07/a-land-without-guns-how-japan-has-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/

*not sure if that will work- if not, can one of you make it a clicky for me?- Chrome doesn't like to cooperate

Here is a bit of what it says :

"Friday's horrific shooting at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater has been a reminder that America's gun control laws are the loosest in the developed world and its rate of gun-related homicide is the highest. Of the world's 23 "rich" countries, the U.S. gun-related murder rate is almost 20 times that of the other 22. With almost one privately owned firearm per person, America's ownership rate is the highest in the world; tribal-conflict-torn Yemen is ranked second, with a rate about half of America's.

But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally. "

discuss...

* I DO use full editor to post links-never had a problem until I started using Chrome : /

sorry

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 11:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• If someone breaks into my home, there is a very good chance that they will have a gun. I'm not the least bit interested in bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I truly don't understand why anyone thinks banning guns will stop gun killings. Look at all the things out there that are illegal, but are still around. Isn't the very definition of criminal someone who does something illegal? What, are criminals going to say, "Oh, darn, guns are illegal. Guess I can't have one of those."

I know it's a pleasant thought, but Dreamland doesn't actually exist.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:44 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• My safety and my children's safety is much more important than your 'need' for a gun.

How does the gun sitting 50' away from me as I type this endanger your children?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:23 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• How many people are killed by fertilizer bombs each year in those countries?

Are you suggesting there is somewhere that records that statistic? How about basic murder rates? Cuba has far stricter gun laws, and outpace us in murders. The majority of murders in NA do not come from the US, but from Mexico, In Japan, while it may sound amazing that they only had a dozen gun deaths, they had over 400 murders in a country where via the dominant culture, people are conditioned to feel physically ill and embarrassed if they contradict someone incorrectly, let alone throw a punch.

Nobody is suggesting you must own a gun. They're not even saying you have to let your kids play at a house that has one, but to suggest that what is appropriate at your home in your specific area is universally applicable to everyone else is arrogant. To suggest that banning guns would stop murder is proven by the stats of the countries that have.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Tell that to the parents who lost their children today and get back to me.

I wouldn't dream of politicizing their grief, but fact remains, the moment someone set foot on that school's grounds with a gun they were already breaking the law. The legality of guns in general had NO impact on that act, any more than meth and heroin being illegal has the slightest impact on how readily they are available.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Then there's IL, strictest gun laws in the country, also one of the highest murder rates and violence rates, with and without guns. People tend to forget the kids at Columbine had a pipe bomb, too. It's only luck it wasn't detonated. Shall we ban pipe and fertilizer, too?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• How does a person protect themselves and children when someone breaks into her home in the middle of the night?

You're not supposed to worry about that, just wait for the police to avenge your rape and/or murder.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Because a gun is the only way to protect yourself, right?

No, it is one of several reasonable options. Considering the distance we live from the nearest police station, the nature of our neighborhood in terms of lighting and accessibility, and the increasing number of foreclosures in the area, it is one of several precautions we take, including a security monitoring system we added after a series of car break ins. Why must it be all or nothing - you can either be an idiot with a gun or a sage person who does not own one because they have what - magic powers to stop someone from breaking into your home? Why is there no room for rational, intelligent, responsible gun owners who use a gun for exactly what it is - one of many tools suited to a specific task?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• you want to be protected, you will always find a way

And what way to you suggest when you live 20 miles out of town? It's ok if you bludgeon them to death with a lamp as long as you don't shoot them instead?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:42 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Do I own a gun? No. Do I know other ways to defend myself and protect my family? Yes.

So for that reason, nobody else should be allowed to have one either? You know "other ways" but I can tell you without even asking, none of them are foolproof. Neither is a gun, and nobody has claimed such, but it's arrogance of the highest order to suggest your non-foolproof methods are ok but someone else's are not. Come up with a guaranteed, impossible to lose alternative, then you can make the case. Until then it's nothing more than a pissing contest. Your children are far more likely to be harmed by someone pushing drugs on them at school than by a gun, and drugs are already illegal.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• As much as I respect Japan for the way they control guns, it wouldn't work here, and they end of the article suggests that it is hard to say whether or not it would be feasible here when you consider the cultural differences as well as the potential costs.

Besides... guns aren't the only way to kill people.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2012