How do you get your kids to take nasty medicine?

My DD was prescribed a liquid anti-biotic that she has to take 3 Xs per day for 10 whole days. I tried giving her, her first dose yesterday and she screamed bloody murder the whole time. My neighbors probably think we are beating her! And she made my other daughter cry because she thought her dad and I were hurting her little sister! I don't know what to do. she has strep throat and needs to get better. Any tricks to getting her to take it? Can I hide it in something? Bribing dosn't work....

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 2:35 PM on Dec. 14, 2012 in General Parenting

• Chilled always taste better, unless counter indicated. And if the child is old enough, honey after wards, but I am old school. So may want to check with a doc.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Call the pharmacy to see if you can mix it in something. Or you can ask them to add some flavor, my pharmacy charges extra for t but its worth it.

Answer by missanc at 2:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• My kids never minded the taste of antibiotics. The pharmacy would flavor it with whatever flavor we picked.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• They can either take it willingly or sleep in their cage in the basement.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• but she LIKEs her cage!! so that won't work! lol ....I'm kidding people lol :P
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• lol! I'm glad you didn't go all sanctimonious on me.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Have a drink of something right there so as soon as she swallows the med she can have a drink. Or maybe a little piece of candy or couple bites of a favorite snack or something. We've only had 1 medicine issue and that's what I did, the "chaser" depended on the time of day but I always offered something.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• she won't do the chaser thing any more. shes pretty much fed up with it since I had her chase her Tylenol this whole week. she won't even chase her Penicilin with pop, which is a treat because I don't let her drink pop. But I like the idea of having the pharmacy flavor it. I'll call them and see if I can have them flavor it. I hope something works because pinning her down and hearing her scream like that is breaking my heart!! ..I'll keep you all updated. Fingers crossed.
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 5:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Is it the pink stuff? We used freezer pops after when he was little and had strep - killed the taste and made his throat feel better.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I pin my kids down and force it down. Fun times.
    Jessica_Esqueda

Answer by Jessica_Esqueda at 4:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2012