I just watched The President Speak.

He made me tear up too.  He couldn't hold it back.  He tired and he just couldn't.

Asked by louise2 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I watched it too and bawled. I look like a raccoon with mascara everywhere.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• "But we don't need gun control in this country, oh no... "

Ban guns and they will use knives. Ban those and they will use whatever they can get their hands on. Here, there is a story of a woman in the hospital right now because she opened her front door. When she did, two men sprayed her with a weed sprayer filled with gas and set her on fire before demanding items from the home. People are sick, they are mentally ill. I think the top priority should not be the banning of guns, but an honest discussion about how our country is going to handle mental illness. It is obvious that what we are doing now isn't working. Fuck useless gun control laws (we already have plenty of those on the books), what we need more than anything right now are laws that make sure everyone has access to quality mental health care! Shit, we can pass a law forcing everyone to have health insurance, but we can't pass laws for quality mental health care.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• " he is a very eloquent speaker and im sure it was moving."

To me, the beauty of it was that it wasn't eloquent......he looked just like a dad up there. An average, everyday dad that is reacting the way many of us are, with shock and sadness and this immediate desire to keep our kids close
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• 20 dead children. But we don't need gun control in this country, oh no...
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:06 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• "Just because someone has access to quality mental health care doesn't mean they'll use it."

Didn't have these problems when we had state institutions... just sayin'.

Besides, quality mental health care means that when an obviously mentally ill person comes into my ER, they are given more than just a 72 hour hold, some meds, and some bus tokens to get home after it all. As it is now, many people fall through the cracks because providers can't force anyone to accept the care. We can apparently force people to not have guns, we can force them to have health insurance and car insurance, but we can't put them in a facility when they're mentally ill. Weird....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:34 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• With proper funding, research, and training, healthcare workers, police, teachers, and various individuals in public service could be trained to recognize early signs of mental illness so that the individual can be treated before it becomes a problem. Everyone wants the government to control every single other part of our lives. If we're heading in the direction of a police state, why should we go all the way and tag and monitor each and every individual from birth? Extreme? Of course, and that's not what I propose. However, it's no less extreme than what others ask in regards to gun control, health insurance, control of our diets, etc.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I think it was 23 INJURED. Injured is better than dead.

there have been 20 confirmed dead children between the ages of 5-10 years old. 

i couldnt even type that last bit without tearing up.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I hadn't cried today until I saw this. Now, every time I see/read anything about it, the floodgates reopen.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I thought he did pretty well considering the circumstances. You would be able to understand a word I said if I had to do it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:56 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• im afraid to watch it...ive been on the verge all day and to see a man get upset, let alone the president...id really rather not. while i disagree w/ some of his politics he is a very eloquent speaker and im sure it was moving.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2012