Would a prayer have prevented today's tragedy in Connecticut?

A friend of mine posted in her status about how she and her kids recite the same prayer each day as they head out to wait for the school bus.  She indicated that she believes that it is that prayer, and that her god heeds it, that keep her children safe.

Is it safe to presume, then, that the parents of the innocent little children who were shot dead today would have been spared, if only their parents had said a prayer each day for their safety?  Should I worry that a mad gunman will shoot my kids because we don't pray, or even believe in any gods?

Here is part of the prayer:  And may God protect you, and work through you, and in you, today and every day.
...

She followed with this, as part of her status:  Thank you, Heavenly Father, for hearing our hasty prayer every morning, and for making it very evident today.

Now, doesn't that suppose, then, that it's the fault of the parents, somehow, that their kids were not protected, because they don't say the right prayer, to the right god?  They didn't say the right magic words to be granted proper protection for their children?
I understand my friend's gratitude that her kids are safe, I'm so glad that they are, too, but what would she say if they did fall victim to that sort of violence?  What would her god's role have been, in that case?  Would she then say that it was his plan, that he had other business for them in heaven?
Can anyone claim that their prayers kept them safe, when it's safe to assume that other parents say prayers, too, but suffer the loss of a child in such a horrific way?  Where was their god when those kindergartners were being shot? 
I'm very angry about this.  I'm angry because this will turn into another "Well, if we allowed god in schools, and 'let' the children pray, this would never happen" sort of nonsense.  I'm angry that 20+ families are suffering today, for no good reason.  I'm angry about feeling helpless to do anything to ease their suffering, or prevent it.
This was a tragedy, probably resulting from mental illness and access to weapons designed for the purpose of killing.  There was no god involved in any of this - not in the protection of my friend's children, and certainly not in "choosing" to bring those victimes of violence to heaven.  And definitely not in taking away those babies from families who loved them.
Sorry for my rant.  I'm terribly upset by this violence that happens over and over in this country.  I'm upset because people will talk about all the wrong things in ignoring the search for real, workable answers.  I'll leave off with a contrasting comment left by another friend in response to the reactions to this awful tragedy: I don't know if I can maintain civility to those friends and family on Facebook who starts with that bullshit. Not only that, but now we get to hear the xians defend their merciful, all knowing and powerful and loving god that this isn't gods fault. Any god, who is supposedly all knowing and all powerful, who will stand by and allow this, along with ever other global act of cruelty, rape, murder, etc, to occur and not intervene is a sick vile monster who deserves neither praise nor worship. I don't give a fuck about the "free will"l of the shooter or some higher plan or "all things work together for the good..." Open your eyes and see. Either this god is a monster or nonexistent. Take your pick.

No.  I have one final thing to say:  I hope you and your loved ones are safe.  I grieve for the families who are suffering right now.  If you, or if anyone you know, is among them, I grieve for you.  This is heartbreaking.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2012 in Religious Debate

• That status would piss me off to no end.
    To even think that is unbelievable.........

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• No, a prayer is not going to save you from something like this. I understand her being thankful it didn't touch her family, but saying it's because of a prayer? NO

This is such a horrible thing, and I too feel for the families. So sad : (
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• People say the most horrible things sometimes.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• And that is why I'm not dealing with my fb feed today. I'm reading notifications for messages and groups, but the great unwashed masses can take a flying leap afaic.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• oh that is such bullshit. she needs a good kick in her twat, and then to be asked where her precious god was today when innocent children were being shot.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Or just ask her why she was too selfish to pray for everyone else's kids, too...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:09 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Smh....
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• Now I feel like I have to defend my friend.  I'm certain that she didn't mean it in a selfish way.  In fact, I don't think she was considering the repercussions of such a statement.  I think she was just expressing her gratitude that her children have not faced such violence. 

But that's part of the problem, too.  People don't consider the flip side of the coin when they express gratitude about a god hearing their prayers.  It presumes, then, that they are somehow favored by that god, or that he will only listen to prayers spoken by certain people, or that the wrong sort of prayer is being said - and never mind those of us who don't even believe in any gods.  It lacks any logic or reason, and is insulting to those who are grieving the loss of a loved one, even though they prayed, too.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:15 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I do believe in the power of prayer, I've had proof enough for me. However I don't believe that prayer magically makes everything the way you want, or protects you from all evil things in the world.  Bad things happen, even evil things.  God never promised an easy time in this life.    

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2012

• I agree jsbenkert. I'm sure she didn't mean anything by saying that, but still
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2012