What are your opinions on hyphenated last names?

My daughter's last name is hyphenated. Her full name is Charlotte Rose my last name-her dad's last name. Her siblings names will also be hyphenated. Is this weird?

EmberXXX

Asked by EmberXXX at 8:40 PM on Dec. 14, 2012 in Baby Names

• It's not something I would do, but I don't consider it weird.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• My daughters name is hyphenated. It's hell filling out forms. It doesn't fit on things like medals and trophies. But I still stand by our decision to do it.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:42 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I hyphenated my name for awhile and it still is on some financial papers. Honestly it got too confusing and it's too long to write out on everything.  I don't think it's weird just inconvenient.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I don't like it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:31 PM on Dec. 18, 2012

• They are become a common thing again in the UK with women wanting less to take their husband's name as superior to theirs or if the couple aren't married anyway. I personally think they are only a bad choice is they sound awkward or pompous. I'd have been happy to do this myself but my surname rhymes nasty with my husband's.
    Aniseed

Answer by Aniseed at 6:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2012

• I don't think it is weird, not something I would do. I know my nephew is hyphenated and it really bothers my brother. So as long as the dad is ok with it then there's no problem.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:08 PM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I don't think it's a bad think especially if both the family's really want their last name to live on. My family is super proud of our last name and I was thinking about hyphenating my daughters but I chose not to.
    Gabbriellasmom

Answer by Gabbriellasmom at 7:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• my two kids from my first marriage have a hyphenated last name and it's terrible... I wish I had just chosen one of the 2 last names my ex husband had...my ex is colombian and was born and raised in colombia, he was born with both his mother and fathers last names...unfortunately my kids are stuck with that now, until my daughter either marries or changes it, and if my son decides to change his :/ I always have to spell out the whole entire name and it's a huge pain in the butt...or sometimes people think the first part of the name is their middle name and I have to correct them...and when I used to have the last name myself and would call my electric company or something they would ask for last name, I would say it and they would try and look it up by the second half and I would tell them my first name is not the first part, its one long last name ughhh what a headache
    MamaScho88

Answer by MamaScho88 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I always liked hyphenated names. When I had my first DD DH and I weren't married, though we knew we would be, but I also knew I wasn't going to change my last name. Someone had told me it was difficult having a different name than your children, which I'm sure isn't as difficult in todays society, but that was only part of it. It's an added step to teach your child why their name is hyphenated, and teaching her to write it is difficult but no more so than any long name. There are some long last names out there, in fact a friend of mine from H.S. had a longer name than my DD's hyphenated Dad's 6 letter- Moms 6 letter.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 12:38 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Don't mind.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2013