Why does it bother me that my son speaks "Spanish"? Would this bother you?

I say "Spanish" because about 95% is jibberish in Spanish-like sounds. He attends a preschool with a handful of kids who's first language is Spanish, as is the teacher's. Though they all speak English quite fluently, I believe the teacher often communicates with the Spanish speaking kids in Spanish and the other kids, like my son, pick up on it. That part bothers me because it is not a bilingual school and they are not being "taught" Spanish they are only picking up the tone. Quite often my son will start speaking in "Spanish" and literally say things like "moco lata la pappas" WTF. I feel like a moron yelling SPEAK ENGLISH to my child but what else do I do? Not only do I not understand him, but he isn't speaking a real language. I think it would be different if he were properly being taught a useful second language, but instead it's just extremely annoying.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with you. I would want him properly taught. It's frustrating to be in a classroom where everyone understands a language but you. My parents speak another language but I never picked up on it because they never spoke to me it was only said around me.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• We learn our language by exposure. He is being exposed to those who speak spanish. The spanish speaking kids are being exposed to english. This is not a bad thing as it opens up the language centers of the brain and will make it easier or possibly give a foundation to build a foriegn language on later.
    If you did not want him exposed to spanish speaking why did you enroll him in THAT school?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:23 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I will lay odds that a bunch of his english is gibberish too.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:28 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Evidently the spanish population is high eough to have that many spanish speakers in the room.
    I have no objection to a teacher talking to a child in their native language to get a point accross as long as english is the language your child is taught in.
    He could do the same thing from listening to certain songs. I know I did.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Look, youi seem to have a strange idea about learning language. we all learn our own tongue as "gibberish" - we pick it up as we go along. It makes no sense at all in the beginning. This is what is happening to your son. He doesn't need formal teaching. He is learning Spanish "naturally". Stop getting in a flap about this. The more time he spends at the day care the better his Spanish will get. Relax about this - it will give him a head start in school and formal teaching is less effective and VERY expensive. As for how useful speaking Spanish will be for him - there are millions of people all over the world who speak it, being able to communicate with them can open some very important professional doors.

This comes from a former language teacher and mother of bilingual children.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:30 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• if this bothers you then you have him in the wrong daycare. I for one am thrilled my child picked up on Spanish, its is hard as hell to get a job these days as it is. Being bilingual is a huge advantage. he will be able to put it together eventually. Maybe you should learn spanish?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Instead of getting upset over this do yourself a favor and learn Spanish yourself, depriving your son of a second language is not smart, it will be a positive in his life anyway you look at it.

Answer by older at 8:15 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I was kinda thinking the same thing. My son just started kindergarten and they are teaching spanish. My son is somewhat of a slow learner....he has enough trouble with english! I dont think he even understands what spanish is....that its a different language.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 9:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• * for some reason when I wrote my comment- I was thinking he was in kindergarten- which is why I said 6 months. Either way- you don't just sit down and learn a whole language and how to speak it fluently even in a year or two- it takes time. No offense, but it does sound like you are annoyed with this because you don't understand /speak spanish yourself and don't want him to be able to if you can't
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:36 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Has he picked up enough to carry on a conversation to you in spanish or is he just saying some phrases?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 15, 2012