The Blame Game... Is not having God in public schools really to blame?

This is going around FB... My heart as I know every else's goes out to all of these families, but
do you honestly believe that keeping God out of the public schools is the reason behind this horrific day?

My response to this (and I am sure will not go over well ) was this:

"You Don't Need God in our schools if HE is already in OUR Hearts..
Not having God in this school did not create what this Monster did."

Does keeping a religion in schools/work places/ etc... really prevent things like this from happening or is this another way for some religious ppl (not all) to blame a mass of ppl who wish to work and play in a more even field?

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 9:16 AM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Religious Debate

• They're using the tragedy to push their delusional agendas.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:40 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• 1 - God IS allowed in schools, the schools just aren't allowed to be the ones to address him. Students are allowed to pray, to read their bibles, etc, etc.

2 - no, especially since the perpetrator was not a member of the school, even if the premise that God in school would make a difference was a valid one it wouldn't change that the person responsible wouldn't have been influenced by that.

3 - I think it's disgusting the way people use this kind of tragedy, which has nothing to do with religion at all, and twist it into some sort of religious point. it perpetuates the idea that people cannot be moral without also being Christian, which is a prejudice we need to work against, not perpetuate. all it does is fuel seeing nonChristians as less than, and it fuels ignorance and immaturity on the part of those Christians who subscribe to it...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• So how would that stop someone hell bent on hurting others and then taking his own life?? Does praying form a protective force field around the school?

Wasn't there a shooting at an AMISH school a few years back?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I find it heart wrenching that people are using this terrible loss as a way to promote their own agenda. Gun control is NOT the problem. "God-less" (what the hell ever that means) schools are NOT the problem. The biggest problem, as I see it, is that this man was clearly mentally ill and NO ONE did anything to help him cope or overcome that illness. I mean, yes I do feel there is a need for stricter securtiy at schools, but I also know that if a madman wants to do something bad enough, they will do it, no matter what kind of security (or "god shield") they face.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I find it exhausting how how quickly people were ready to jump on this with their political and religious flags raised. They keep speculating that the shooter lacked the ability to empathize...the same applies to a LOT of the people talking about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• If you believe that the all-powerful judeo-christo god can be kept out of schools because mere men say so, then you aren't believing hard enough are you? It's a comforting excuse for the god zombies I suppose--it helps them keep believing that there is an all-powerful being who gives a damn about them, when all the proof is to the contrary. For me, it's just another proof positive that there isn't anybody looking out for us--except US!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 10:30 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• *sigh* no

Anyone who believes in God carries that with them wherever they go.

There are so many issues that lead to things like this and God is not one of them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:24 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• People are stupid. I just saw a post from a radio station in Georgia that said "guns aren't the problem, a godless society is" omfg.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• it's just like blaming guns and the 2nd amendment . It goes both ways. This has nothing to do with a godless society it has to do with a mental ill person who broke into the school and killed people and then himself. This is not about anything else but that. Guns do not shoot themselves and more god in school will not prevent this from happening.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:43 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• If that is true, then why do far more secular countries have a much lower rate of violent crime?

The problem with America is there is too much god and it absolves people of personal responsibility.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2012