Thoughts on this latest shooting......

I think it is just terrible and my heart goes out to all of those involved. My brother and sister-in-law live about 5 miles from where it happened so my first thoughts was were they all OK but I talked to my brother and he said they were OK just shaken up. I can't wrap my brain around why anyone would want to do this...all those innocent children. The first thing I did when my 5 and 10 year old got home yesterday from school was hugged them and wouldn't let go for a long time and also told them that I loved them. What are your reactions and if you have younger children did you tell them and if so how?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Well my first reaction was a combination of shock, disbelief & heart wrenching sorrow. I just cried for a while. When I went to get my dau after school yesterday, I said, "I'm sorry if this embarrasses you, but mommy could really use a hug right now" & have her a long hug & kissed that sweet face. I held her hand as we walked to the car. And when she asked what was wrong, I told her the few details that I knew at that point. Mainly that a bad man went into a school far away from us & shot some children. That I was sad for them & their parents. I will keep her from seeing too much of the news coverage, but will discuss it w/her if she has questions or concerns.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I tried to keep it light. I thought if I'm having a tough time with it, they aren't going to be able to process it at all. I spoke to them about what to do at school, went over what their teachers have told them, and made sure they know that I'm 2 minutes away, so if anything ever happens, big or small, I will be there in a heartbeat.
    I told them no matter what, hide, hide somewhere no one would find them until it was all over. They also know their big brother is just a parking lot away at the high school, and he will be there too. I realize that if something happens, I probably won't be let in the school, but I wanted them to feel comfort in knowing I'm always here, and will be there if they need me.
    I realize some are rethinking homeschooling their children, but I just can't do that. I don't have the resources, or the brains to teach them at home. I don't think they would benefit by hiding them from the world. JMO.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:54 AM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I did tell my kids yesterday, but didn't let them watch any of it on the news. I just told them what I knew and that there is still a lot of information that we don't know. That more info will come with time and hopefully we can figure out how to prevent something like this from happening again. I did not go into detail with them. They are 7 and almost 10.

I'm not reading or watching most of what is going on now. I will wait a little longer until more reliable information is obtained and released. Yesterday's news feeds were chaotic and at times very incorrect with the information that was coming out. I don't want to politicize this at all. It is a tragedy and my heart and prayers go to those that were impacted and those that lost loved ones. Correct information and answers for the families is all I can hope for, as closure on this isn't likely for anyone.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I cried for the children, their parents, the shooter, his father and family and when my son asked me why it happened, what makes someone do this, I said I just do not know.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• When I first heard I was praying they had numbers wrong. I am just disgusted. I didn't say anything to dd and kept her away from the tv while I was watching because she is only 4 and will be starting school next year and I don't want to scare her. If I didn't think she'd be missing out on anything and wasn't concerned about her social skills I'd be homeschooling. I can't even imagine what those parents are going through.

Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 1:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Hi love! yes, it has touched all of our hearts, I have been very upset over this totally unnecessary tragedy and all the young lives and families destroyed for the holiday season. Glad to hear that your relatives were not hurt by this. hugs

Answer by older at 1:50 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I know a teacher in that school. I haven't spoken to her directly, but to her cousin.

I'm in shock from it and just feel numb. Like I did on 9-11.
    Trauma happens over and over and over and there is no getting used to it, there are no new words to say. It's an incredibly difficult situation and my prayers go out to all of those affected.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I picked up DS from school, made sure the radio was not on, told him that a bad man had hurt some kids far away from here, but everyone was talking about it, so I didn't want him watching the "little numbers" on TV (where the local channels are that were pre-empting coverage), but he could watch G4 or History. The TV is staying off the little numbers as long as he's in the room for the next few days.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:22 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• honestly, i havent said a word about it to my oldest. shes 4 and she goes to an elementary school for half day pre-K, but theres no way to bring it up. we dont watch the news, they didnt mention it on the radio, and DH & i spoke pretty minimally about it (even when it was just us). she's very sensitive to how ppl act, she doesnt understand ppl's actions as well as other kids her age. it would do nothing to tell her about it but scare her. all ive done is tell her i love her, hug her more, and told her to always listen to her teachers (since that saved some kids yesterday).

i know its weird, but this scares me more as a (soon to be) teacher than it does as a parent. to be in charge of all those kids and having to make the right decisions in a crisis and maybe giving up your life for them...i just...i dunno.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2012