Giving whole cows milk

At what age did you introduce whole milk? All the articles say wait till 1 year. that giving it can "tax a babys kidneys " and cause internal bleedign? What exactly does that mean and what inside them will it cause to bleed? So what age did you introduce it and did you have any complications?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 13/14 mos with my Daughter, and my son, well he doesn't like it so none.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I waited until one year, because why risk it?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• After 12 months babys system is ready to process the enzymes in cows milk.Vefore 12 months you run the risk orf the issues above but also of causing allergic reactions and lactose intolerance.it taxes their kidney as they have to work very hard to break down the milk. I have never heard anything about internal bleeding tho.I did not give it to my baby until he was about 13 months and had no probs...just wait til 12 months and introduce it as you do anything else, a little at a time.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:51 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I am not sure how much truth their is to the harm it can cause before 1, I only know my own experiences. I, as a baby, was put on whole milk at 6 months and am just fine. My nephew started at 9 months and I plan to start my dd around then too. Years ago, everyone put their kids on whole milk way before one and I don't remember hearing of all these issues. But go with your gut.
    Anonymous

• sure some kids are fine, but I wouldn't want to live with the guilt if my baby was NOT fine.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• 12 months, but we started skim milk.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 1:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• 12 mo. and we started out slowly. I would definitely do the whole milk though until age 2. They need the fat in the milk for brain development!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 1:15 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• I agree, you can do a lot of things that are not recommended and your kid will be "just fine", but why risk it?

Their little bodies are so fragile, I don't see the need to rush into cows milk.

So do yourself, and your baby, a favor and wait until 12 months.

Good luck.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:21 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• 10 months but mine were on homemade formula ( I made it with evaported whole milk) so the transition was easy.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• Our pediatrician had us switch to milk at 9 months. But the boys were eating all table foods and a balanced diet. I would not have done it without his okay.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:29 PM on Feb. 12, 2009