Separation Anxiety

My 7 month old wants to be at my hip all day. It's been worse since he started cutting teeth. He's with me all the time so that's part of the problem. I left him with my friend's mother last week for a few hours and she said he cried for about 45 minutes after I left and he NEVER cries. How can I make it easier for him (and the sitter)?

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 12:52 PM on Feb. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its better to tell him everytime you leave that Mommy will be right back. When you are at home. Leave the room and say that, then come back in a couple of min. He will slowley start to understand that mommy isnt leaving forever.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• What OP said is a good suggestion, but probably will not work. Your baby has only been on this planet a short time and you are all he knows.

Does he know your friends mom? If not, that's the problem, you shouldn't leave him with people he is not comfortable with (obviously sometimes that's not an option).

Spend time with you, the baby, and the person who will be watching him. Do this as often as possible for a week or 2, and I bet baby will be much easier to leave.

There is NOTHING WRONG with baby being attached to your hip, he loves you, and you should be glad for that. Sure, it's inconvenient, but if we were looking for convenience we wouldn't of had kids, I don't think, lol.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 1:07 PM on Feb. 12, 2009

• my almost 8 month old is going through the SAME thing... and i dont agree with arkaidy about them being "more comfortable" with someone... my son only likes me, his dad, and my in-laws... he hates my mom and he is ok with my dad and brothers. i read that a lot of children go through this and eventually it will pass.-
    softbalchic2004

Answer by softbalchic2004 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• what NAT24ROXY24 said to do will work. You can also try leaving him with another person more often but for short periods of time - Like 10 - 20 minutes, just to run to the store or walk around the block. Tell him you'll be back and then when you get back say "I'm Back." Gradually increase the time until he is okay with you leaving. And, like softbalchic said, they all go through these stages. It may pass soon anyway. He may react better if the sitter is willing to come to your house. A strange environment may add to his stress. In any case, don't worry too much about his crying. He will learn soon that Mom always comes back.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:35 AM on Feb. 13, 2009