If you are not Christian do you ever go to church?

My dd is doing a Christmas play and needS to be at church. My dh is sick so I'm going to take her. I dont like the whole leave her and pick her up thing. I guess I feel fine going I have friends that go there. I use to go there. But there are a few people who have over stepped lines with me since ive rejected the christian faith that I'm not the happiest to see. I do go when my dd sings or does a play because I love her excitement and dedication she puts into this shows.

So I'm wondering is it hard for you to go to a church when you do not believe their teachings to be true?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 12:52 PM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• The last time I was in a church was my daughters vpk graduation back in June. Her preschool wasn't religiously affiliated but for whatever reason they held the ceremony at a church. Other than that I don't go. Only for special occasions. I would be wary to go myself and receive the dirty looks/judgments from the holier than thous but I guess all you can do is ignore them the best you can and enjoy the performances.

And I also disagree that children cannot participate in any religious activities if their parents are of a different faith. Exposure to other beliefs is a great way to spread tolerance.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:07 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• IMO if you're not a "christian", then your children shouldn't be made to participate in christian activities. It's hypocritical IMO.

This would be a good time to have the DV back, are you serious? If one parent doesn't believe the whole family has to stay home?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:12 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• And also what speaks better of tolerance than an atheist parent that allows her child to explore Christianity and other religions? Or any parent of any belief system that allows their child to explore, learn and participate in activities of other faiths?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I only go to hatch them, match them and dispatch them.

When you're an atheist with ADHD, church is sheer TORTURE!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:26 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I don't have an issue. Our little town has more churches than stoplights, and even as an Atheist, I regularly do things in/around/with churches. For example, I worked one of the toy drives this year that was held at a church. I don't advertise that I am an Atheist, and I let them make whatever assumption they want, nod along with anything religious that happens while I'm there, and then go home. Nothing that happens there will really affect the fact that my family is Atheistic, but I think politeness goes a long way from both ends.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Yeah- I've gone. I used to do the whole Mormom 3 hour on Sunday thing for my steps. It was informative and I got to hang with that side of the family.

It was funny when they introduced me, "This is ____ wife, she's a Jew".
    But in your circumstance, I can understand the discomfort. Ignore the haters. In the House of God they should know better.

(They should gossip in the parking lot, like normal people)
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I have gone to church to support something my parents were doing or if DS decided he really wanted to go. DS went to a Christian PreK because it was the best PreK program in town. I don't like going, but I go for them. I try to make it very rare occasions. If it were just a play I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:59 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Only for weddings or funerals. I would of course go if my children were performing, because I would want to watch my kids perform.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I am atheist. My son goes to a Baptist Mothers Day Out program, and I will occasionally go to a service with my husbands family. I go to make them happy, as they are not aware that I am an atheist, but in general I avoid it. It can be uncomfortable, but I think since its a play you should just sit at the back maybe and be there for your daughter :)
    shesliketx

Answer by shesliketx at 12:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I don't go to church, but I'm okay with my daughter going. Sometimes I go too, but yeah Christianity is not my religion of preference and I know my mom has hard time dealing with that. But it's my choice, not hers. I won't stop my daughter from going. Eventually she'll realize that she has a choice too.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 1:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2012