Treated mean for being heavy

So from experience and from hearing other people’s weight loss stories, I know that people tend to treat you different when you’re smaller as opposed to if you are a heavier person. That being said I find that to be ABSOLUTELY despicable! I feel that every single person no matter their race, gender, age, sexual orientation or whatever should be treated with respect until they give you a personal reason not to. I find it very sad that I get strangers looking all upside my face and even being rude sometimes because of my physical appearance and not because of my personality. I’m currently on a weight loss journey but I find myself feeling weird sometimes because I don’t want to feel as though I’m doing this to fit in with the “beautiful” (extreme quotations on the word beautiful) type of person. I do want to do this for myself, however sometimes I feel as though I’m doing it to cut the unnecessary ignorance and rudeness from my life, which I hate because who are these people to judge and why would I be doing this from them in a sense. I really hope this makes sense I can’t find another way of putting this. Have you all gone through this? Let me know below. Thanks.

quita1991

Asked by quita1991 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• People are going to talk about us no matter how we look, its how we react to what they have to say that either makes us or breaks us....Just keep reminding yourself you are doing this for yourself!!
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• It's pretty common, but you don't have to let it impact you. Weight loss is something you do for YOU and YOUR health, nothing else.

If this is something coming from friends, they're not your friends and cross them off your social calendar.

If it's coming from "family" remember family is often merely people you're tied to genetically and wouldn't be tied to if you have a choice. They also may need to come off the social calendar.

If it's coming from co-workers, that's reportable harassment.

If it's coming from places you shop or get services, don't patronize them and write to the managers and let them know.

And if it's coming from your husband, give him a kick for me. Right where it counts!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Wishing you the best in your weight loss journey and yes, you are so right that people do this but you know what these people that do are not worth much as human beings, I evaluate people for much more than their looks....

Answer by older at 2:40 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Over this last year I have lost 106lbs....I understand!!! I went from 292-185lbs (size 26's in jeans to 12's)...Now, I'm pregnant and believe me, I am NOT done...This is a life long journey, not a short brisk walk...it's a never ending marathon. You can do this!!! Do yourself and favor and just DON'T GIVE UP!! There were many times where I just had to be done for the DAY, not week, not month...I didn't have enough in me to keep going. It's OKAY...you just pick up right where you left off!! Before worrying about what other people think about you, you have to start making nice with yourself! I was mean to myself, and I didn't even have a clue until later on....If you need anything please PM me, I would love to help you! I personally used Myfitnesspal.com and Jillian Micheals DVD's (Myfitnesspal.com user name is SONIA820)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:34 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I understand and I agree.... but they do. I've seen it a million times. I'm not a big person by any means, but people will always make an assumption of a heavy person being too lazy to do something about it. I know because I have some heavy relatives. It's not an easy life. However, no one is immune from others' comments, nasty looks and judgment.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• SO much emphasis is placed on looks, being thin & being young. (or younger looking) It's terrible that some people have to treat their fellow human beings with such utter disrespect. Being overweight does not make you less valuable as a person. Hold your head high, surround yourself w/ those who love you for who you are & best of luck on your journey! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• All of you are so helpful and kind!! thank you all for such nice comments
    quita1991

Comment by quita1991 (original poster) at 7:44 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I am glad you are doing this for you. When you do achieve your goal, just think of all of those people who are probably jealous that they can't achieve their goals and perhaps even jealous that they can't lose weight themselves. Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise because you get to see the way people really are, instead of being born with blessed genetics and being around fake people. Everyone has insecurities. Success is the best revenge.

Watch this free movie called Pretty Ugly People: http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=GugA80CBElk&feature=mv_sr

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2012

• People are just mean sometimes! On the flip side, I have had people be mean to me b/c I was skinny, seriously. People said mean things like, "OMG you look disgusting" and stuff like, "oh did you eat a cracker? I see it in your stomach." So really, you can't win either way. Whatever makes you feel happy, go for it.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2012

• Thank you ladies^^^ and i will most defiantly watch that movie :)
    quita1991

Comment by quita1991 (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Dec. 25, 2012