Side-effect of the shooting, a lot of very stupid people who know nothing about Aspergers blaming it for the shooting

What is the long term fall-out of this going to be? Are autistic and Aspie kids going to be shunned and abused again? Is America really stupid enough to fall for this again, or has enough progress been made to protect these children from being lumped in with a mass murderer?

(added bonus, they don't even know if he was on the spectrum - they're basing this all on speculation from other sources and repeating it, much in the same way people quoted the sheriff in Loghner's crimes, blaming politics when the truth is that shooter had a personal fixation and had been stalking Giffords for years)

Investigators Look For Insight Into Newtown Gunman’s Mind

'Shock' in Connecticut that 'nice kid' could be responsible for such horror

Piers Morgan Quack Says People With Autism Lack Empathy: ‘Something’s Missing In The Brain’

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:41 PM on Dec. 15, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• They will never say they dont know what makes someone do something like this.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Something they fail to realize is that alot of these kids wouldn't hurt a fly either

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• My DS is on the spectrum and he does lack empathy. He does lash out and act violently. We have been working on this behavior with specialist since he was 4.5. However this is not the 'norm'. The idea of blaming the blanket group of ASD or individuals with mental illness for this crime because he may have one, the other or both is insane. It would be like blaming the blanket term of nero typical for the same act if he had no diagnosis at all. That of course would never happen, so why should it happen in the other direction.
    Anonymous

• A friends brother did something very horrible. He's in jail for it but people tried to rationalize it. his home life wasn't the best maybe that's why he did what he did. Trying to figure out why. I think some people need to kow why so there's justification so to speak for what happened. When in reality sometimes there just isn't. I hope we know not to lump everyone in with the actions of one person whether he did have autism/aspergers/social disorder like the news is reporting.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 3:11 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• My fear is no. The people that think this happened because "God's not allowed in the schools" are the same people that will assume that the shooter killed all those kids solely due to having Aspergers.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• i hope this doesnt cause ppl to think all kids on the spectrum are maniacs...anyone who's worked with or met a person with Autism knows it would be ridiculous to assume they are all dangerous.

in times of tragedy ppl want to feel better and the main way our society does that is putting the blame on anything that makes it less likely for the tragedy to happen again or for it to happen in "my" neighborhood. ppl want a specific reason that allows them to say "oh. well that explains it." we are a curious species and even if deep down ppl know thats not the reason this kid committed such horrible acts, they will accept it just to feel better.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Didn't this same suspicion fly around about James Holmes and the V Tech shooter? Seems to be a common suspicion though I never saw anything verifying it in any of those cases...
    I am sure there is always going to be a group of ignorant people who will believe what they want to no matter what anyone tells them but I think for the majority there is a greater understanding of ASD every day. My hope is that the Asperger's suspicions coming with this tragedy will be quickly forgotten by the masses just as it has the other times, not making it a highlight of the investigation.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:51 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• I don't think it's stupid, I think it's very logical. They need something to blame, they're going to grab on to whatever's abnormal and hold onto it for dear life.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Logic would be grabbing onto something remotely relevant. This makes about as much sense as saying he did it because he was diabetic or nearsighted.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Dec. 15, 2012

• Because diabetes and being nearsighted sometimes makes you lack empathy, right?
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:53 PM on Dec. 15, 2012